Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 126 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Thomes Eliana, Larisa, ilnurbeggins, Cruzer84, CRPG
    11,511 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Hello there,

I am seeking guidance on how to best support my 12-year-old child,;who is currently in 7th grade; but significantly ahead in mathematics. My child has always shown an intense interest in math and has excelled well beyond their grade level, completing pre-algebra by the end of 5th grade and moving on to Algebra I in 6th grade.

Currently; the school offers limited options for further acceleration beyond a year or two ahead; and I am concerned that my child is not being sufficiently challenged. We have considered the possibility of enrolling them in an online math program or having them take high school level courses through a dual enrollment option; but I am not sure what would be the best fit socially and academically.

Recommendations for online math programs that can offer advanced and flexible learning.

Managing the social aspects of having a child who is much younger than their peers in more advanced classes.

Also, I have gone through this post; https://www.davidsongifted.org/gifted-blog/mathematically-gifted-students-workday-how-can-we-meet-their-needs/ which definitely helped me out a lot.

Any other resources or strategies for keeping a mathematically gifted child engaged.

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance.

Last edited by Padrickk; 09/25/24 10:51 PM.
    E
    Online Content
    E
    I live in another country, so the school curricula for maths in our two countries may differ, but maths concepts are universal and my son used a variety of online resources.

We supported his enthusiasm to explore mathematics and his school achievements were largely a by-product, rather than his main focus. He is now in his second year at Uni, so I’m posting about his journey as it has had a relatively successful outcome.

From an early age, he watched YouTube videos, particularly Numberphile videos which cover a broad range of interesting ‘big’ ideas (eg. infinite sets). Khan Academy videos are great free online resources which explain maths concepts in bite sizes, which may be useful if concepts are covered too lightly in videos that aren’t specifically intended to be educational.

At the beginning of high school, the maths HoD assessed him with a grade 7 test and confirmed he had mastered all of the content so she agreed that acceleration would be appropriate. The school bought subscriptions to Maths Pathways (which only covered grades 1-10 content back in 2017 but now covers grades 11 & 12 as well) and Maths Online, so that he could be radically accelerated whilst physically attending class with same aged peers (which was ideal for both his academic and social development). He covered grades 8-10 in six months with Maths Pathways and switched to Maths Online to cover grades 11 & 12 in less than a year for each grade, which enabled him to sit his first HSC (grade 12 exit) exam in grade 9 and the HSC extension exams the following year. Private subscriptions, which are a bit more expensive than school based subscriptions, are available to either of these programs. Both companies offer free trials.

DS received invitations to the Australian Maths Olympiad event (the US has its own USAMO), but we live outside of the major cities and our local school has no experience preparing anyone for these comps. Whilst he also received invitations to the AMT Olympiad training camps/schools, after attending one week-long training school, the rest were suspended due to COVID, so he was essentially isolated. We searched online for a suitable mentor and found an honours maths student at Cambridge Uni who had been on the British Olympiad team and engaged him as our son’s mentor (at a rate of $300/hr due to the exchange rate between stirling pounds and the Aus dollar). After a few months, our son found past IMO papers tedious and poor value for learning, so whilst he has been on the AMO merit list a couple of times, he abandoned his original aim of getting to the IMO. Instead, his mentor showed him some of the postgrad maths he was studying at Cambridge Uni and my son found the material much more interesting. These sessions prepared him well for his own time at Uni, where as a freshman last year, he was able to achieved HDs in first and second year advanced maths courses and is currently enjoying deep dives in various advanced courses relevant to his R & D Engineering degree. He now tutors/mentors high school students.

PS: DS competed at state level in several track and field events and during his time at high school, was generally recognised as his school’s star athlete, so that came with a lot of social currency and he was popular with his peers even as a maths & science scholar.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Advice for Accelerating Math Curriculum for Gifted
    by Eagle Mum - 09/26/24 02:34 AM
    College Admissions for 2E poor grades
    by aeh - 09/24/24 07:28 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by aeh - 09/24/24 02:25 PM
    Davidson e-newsletter subscription
    by indigo - 09/23/24 10:02 AM
    Senior in High School - next steps