Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by wren
    as per NYT article, Harvard doubled their percentage of first time college admits

It's easy to generate impressive growth off a small base. But as you say, the right direction, and the ED numbers are reassuring. smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by aeh
    One note: most of the elite universities do have branch campuses--in their search for "quality applicants"--but they are generally international, either in highly competitive communities outside of North America, or in significantly disadvantaged development districts. The twist would be for them to start looking at domestic development districts from similar angles.

True, and I agree. Unfortunately, it's usually fiscally motivated. International students are an entree to market access and higher tuition per capita. For publicly funded institutions with flatlining state allocations, it's a survival imperative. In competitive overseas markets, the choice of add-on institutes often is taken because the parent brand is judged not to be at risk of dilution because the customer segments are sufficiently distinct, both in geography and customer overlap.

I don't know the US market as well, but all the strat plans of the U15 in Canada prioritize sustainability and international enrolments.

Originally Posted by aeh
    while also coaching them through the EF skills they will need to make it through college graduation./

Aeh, would you be willing to do a quick research dump (links only are fine) for studies looking into expressly teaching EF skills as a class in this group outside preschool and early elementary settings? Even a handful of names of researchers in the space would be terrific.

I was scanning the link below, but much of the lit is preschool focused.

https://developingchild.harvard.edu...he-Development-of-Executive-Function.pdf

I
    I
    Welcome, neuralnetworking.

I see you've not signed in since 4/5/2021 when you made your OP for this thread. I've read with great interest a sampling of your posts at your substack, including your featured article in the OP of this thread, "Ambition, the Elite Job Market, and the Information Gap" (https://neuralnetworking.substack.com/p/ambition-the-elite-job-market-and). Also "The Case for Compassionate Meritocracy" (https://neuralnetworking.substack.com/p/the-case-for-compassionate-meritocracy) in which you appear to suggest that technology-driven GDP growth might fund future universal income rather than allowing the wealth to be retained by the few roboticists and AI researchers. I also noted that
    Originally Posted by article
    ... the results achieved by the text-generating GPT-3 neural network give me a sense that secretarial and administrative jobs might be on the chopping block in the next century. After they go, who knows how long bloggers have left. 1
    and
    Originally Posted by article
    1 GPT-3 wrote parts of several paragraphs in this post.
    More on GPT-3 here: https://www.digitaltrends.com/features/openai-gpt-3-text-generation-ai/
    Originally Posted by digitaltrends GPT-3 article
    A great many jobs are more or less ‘copying fields from one spreadsheet or PDF to another spreadsheet or PDF’, and that sort of office automation, which is too chaotic to easily write a normal program to replace, would be vulnerable to GPT-3 because it can learn all of the exceptions and different conventions and perform as well as the human would.”
    Might this description also include positions in what you have termed in your OP, "the Elite Job Market of finance, consulting, and tech"? In which case, it seems we've rather quickly come full circle. Along the lines of jobs being displaced by tech, here's an old post based on an article in Fortune Magazine, Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years (2019).

Circling back to the mention of GPT-3 helping to author portions of the updated substack piece on "Compassionate Meritocracy," from digitaltrends we read:
    Fed with a few sentences, such as the beginning of a news story, the GPT pre-trained language model can generate convincingly accurate continuations, even including the formulation of fabricated quotes.
    We also read,
    Can you build an A.I. that can convincingly pass itself off as a person? OpenAI’s latest work certainly advances this goal. Now what remains is to be seen what applications researchers will find for it.
    Might the substack, and this thread, be examples of such applications? Are members of this forum unwitting subjects in a Turing Test?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Might the substack, and this thread, be examples of such applications? Are members of this forum unwitting subjects in a Turing Test?

At a minimum, some of us are humans. wink

OP Offline

You are not! (although I have been very impressed with the content I've gotten GPT-3 to produce). I apologize for the lack of response here; I have been caught up in midterm season.

OP Offline
    Might this description also include positions in what you have termed in your OP, "the Elite Job Market of finance, consulting, and tech"? In which case, it seems we've rather quickly come full circle.

Yes! I suspect a not-insignificant proportion of these jobs will be automated in the next century or so (especially analyst-type finance jobs). I'm nowhere close to an expert on automation, but my guess is that a lot of the high-level problem-solving jobs in tech and consulting will survive much longer than most of the work people are doing right now.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    On EF

Review articles:

https://ies.ed.gov/ncer/pubs/20172000/pdf/20172000.pdf
    US DOE roundup on EF, including a section on interventions

https://www.researchgate.net/public...on_Treatment_and_Intervention_in_Schools
    Note: one of the authors is also the primary author of a cognitive measure intended to assess certain aspects of EF. He's also highly-regarded in the field, but one should always be aware of possible conflicts of interest.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ion_Deficits_in_Children_and_Adolescents
    roundup on older children

Standard text:

https://www.amazon.com/Executive-Function-Education-Second-Practice/dp/1462534538/
    Lynn Meltzer is the editor, but the chapter authors also include many of the big names.

A few more names:

George McCloskey (author of neuropsych & EF tests)
    Russell Barkley (author of tons of popular-level and professional books on ADHD)
    Jack Naglieri (author of an EF processing test)
    Peter Isquith (author of a go-to EF rating scale)
    Richard Guare (Peg Dawson works closely with him, but with a more applied angle. Co-authored "Smart but Scattered")

Dawson & Guare now run an EF coaching business, working mainly through a "train the trainer" model, so although they aren't generating as much research, they do have a lot of practical suggestions and techniques.

A number of the above names worked together or in close proximity (many in the Boston area) at one time or another, so there's a fair amount of cross-pollination among them.

The reason so much of the research is on preschool is because that's the critical period for maximum benefit. It's not impossible to teach older children and adolescents, of course, or even adults, but brain plasticity gives one a bigger payoff in early childhood.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    A
    Much appreciated, aeh! Will thoroughly enjoy digging into these resources.

W
    W
    How do you develop EF unless you actually apply the skills? Teaching EF, is like playing tennis wii, but unless you get on a court, how will you play? Because dealing with real life obstacles, contacting 50 people, hoping one door will open, is hard in real life. There is a lot of rejection.

I know people think that executive function is more basic about self control and time management, but I look at it differently. If you have basic executive function, you should be able to manage and apply to administrative functions, like leadership, building an organization. Hence, my comments.

Last edited by Wren; 04/10/21 05:32 AM.
    A
    A
    Wren, what informs your "should"? Are you thinking of bridging gaps for first-generation university students? Or are you talking about all EF deficits carte blanche?

If it's the former, absolutely. That's certainly the end goal.

With respect to EF programming, broadly speaking, the degree of skill generalization will hang on several factors:

a) The degree of deficit
    b) The age of the individual at time of remediation
    c) How closely the training approximates in-vivo skills
    d) Training duration and intensity
    e) Whether practice is maintained post-training
    f) Environmental factors - supportive caregivers, educators, degree of toxic stress, history of trauma or abuse, history of brain injuries, etc.
    g) Personal factors (academic ability, social skills, personal resilience, temperament, etc.)

And others.

These programs, speaking generally, seek to scaffold EF skills progressively, such that they do translate from training to in vivo contexts. Without digging into a specific program, age range, or indication, it's hard to agree or disagree with your analogy to wii vs tennis. The answer could vary anywhere from "yes, absolutely" to "not even remotely".

Last edited by aquinas; 04/10/21 07:38 AM. Reason: more ideas!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM