Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    A bit of proud and a sigh. She will probably have to study a bit more for the APs, but it probably will not be much. My son will do the same, get the extra then say "Oh I didn't think I filled out that part".

Its the I didn't even study or I don't know what the grade is or how well I did that gets me.

At the end of the year as my ds school it seems they give several extra credit opportunities, even in the AP classes. He snubs his nose at it. I tell him don't be so smug.

I'm not really in the camp of someone must fail. That bit of extra credit might give someone the opportunity just push them over 70 or 80% and mean the world to them and their parents.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by puffin
    The very idea of extra credit questions annoys me. By all means make the last question a challenge question but it should still be part of the 100%. If you grade to a curve then surely the top should still be 100% the bottom 0% and the median 50%. More than 100% is just a nonsense. You can have a 200% increase but you can't get 108 out of 100.

ETA. Sorry but it seems like a grade inflation system. You make the basic test fairly easy so a lot of people score really highly then to reward those who actually are doing well you give them a whole extra section to score even higher. Really many of those people doing really well on the basic test should be getting 70% on a proper test and when I was at university 75 to 80% was a very good mark, 90% was amazing and I think the highest I ever heard of was 98% because no one actually is perfect.
    In DS's school, which claims to be "rigorous", the extra credit questions, which are challenging (e.g. think along the lines of competition math problem sets) are actually used to weed out the kids who are working at a higher level in the subject as compared to the rest of the class. A math test that is long and has hard problems is difficult to complete and check for errors in the standard 40-minute format and the extra credit question which takes a few minutes to process and solve is meant to challenge the child to think on their feet, solve problems on the fly, etc. Some schools use this as an indicator that the child has attained mastery and is working above grade level which enables them to finish the test in a shorter duration and to solve extra challenging problems in the leftover time.
    DS's teacher only gives credit for the extra questions if the child has finished the regular credit questions.
    It turns out that not many kids get around to solving them on a regular basis and those who do are considered to be working below their abilities because they could finish the regular test and then tackle a challenging problem in the same time that it took others to complete the original test. A score that is higher than 100% in such tests means that the child is probably working at a higher level on that subject through self-study and is performing at a higher than expected level for that grade and is a candidate for subject acceleration. They ask such kids to write an essay on whether they think that their placement in the subject is correct or not and based on that essay, they meet with the child and decide to test them for subject acceleration.
    (kids being chosen for getting > 100% is the case for NT kids whereas there are accommodations in place for kids who need them such as taking the test in the library for longer durations etc.)

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by cricket3
    Well, I’m sorry but this story is very familiar. The promise that things would get more challenging every year, and every year being disappointed. DD actually came home crying one year after the first day of math- she was surrounded by the same kids ‘who don’t get it’ and whom she spent the previous year helping every day in class...
    I know. I read so many posts like mine. It's just sometimes good to have some place to share. I do not talk about it with fellow parents or even my sibling because it is taken the wrong way (parent bragging).

Originally Posted by cricket3
    At times I guess we felt proud (or more like you, happy that one thing in their lives is easy) but never of the basic classwork stuff- mainly because our kids were not proud in the least- they knew they did ‘nothing’ to earn the high grades or the subsequent awards, etc, so they actually felt some embarrassment, and in my DS’s case, shame.
    DD is not embarrassed, but she is very aware of how she doesn't need to try. She once flippantly stated she didn't need to edit because she knew she would do just fine.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    So I guess my suggestions is find something your DD is passionate about and encourage her to work on that. Find something that challenges her to reach just a bit outside her comfort zone. It doesn't have to be school that challenges her or teaches study habits. DD spent 100's of hours researching a topic for a hobby. She never understands "what the big deal is" when she does some of the extraordinary things she does. It's just normal for her. I'm guessing your DD may be similar. Even if she does some amazing work she will probably not see it as anything special. Just guessing.

Oh and as a freshman at a highly ranked university, surrounded by some of the best and brightest who graduated at the top of their respective high school classes I distinctly remember the week the first round of test grades came back. They landed like a nuclear bomb. Hundreds of kids who skated through HS doing minimal work for top grades had their worlds impload. Scores of 29 or 36 were like daggers in their hearts. Partying came to a screeching halt, people learned to study. Not everyone made it - there was a very high attrition rate. Very high. So your DD is not alone.

Just my 2 cents...

Oh yes, doing research is absolute joy for DD. After school is her fun zone. We need to shove her out the door to make her get some fresh air and exercise. I will have to think carefully about finding something challenging while dealing with the reality that the AP teachers are asking for summer work plus we plan to travel quite a bit. Balance is key. I wish I had posted this earlier in the year and set up something for DD at that point.

That situation in college in which kids hit reality hard is one we want to avoid. We have asked the HS teachers to up the difficulty of DD's work, but only one teacher jumped at the chance.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by ashley
    Originally Posted by puffin
    How can you possibly get 102 out of a hundred. 100% indicates perfection which should be pretty much impossible anyway. Are they using multi-choice or something?
    ... extra-credit questions. If a child has time left over after finishing the test he/she can attempt the extra credit question (which is usually challenging or an extension to the subject matter covered).

I asked DD how this worked. On this particular test it was a combination essay/multiple choice. The extra credit was also essay and multiple choice questions. She added that the teacher gave her extra credit for a particularly good essay within the regular test. Other DD says most teachers do not do extra credit.

C
    C
    You sounds like you have a very good handle on things, but I know it’s impossible not to worry. If it helps, I think the concerns about lack of challenge leading to disastrous college experiences can really vary. I think the individual personality and approach to self-challenge, curiosity, or internal motivations are a huge factor. I do worry about my DS, who has become quite disengaged with formal education, but he is still able to garner enthusiasm for his own projects, so hopefully that will see him through.
    My DD sounds similar to yours, in that she relished the opportunity to delve deep, and when she could, did her own “extensions” or enrichment even in school; it was just part of her nature. So despite little to no challenge in hs, she has been knocking it out of the park in college- you can just feel her expand into the opened-up opportunities, if that makes sense. She has been ready for years (decades, almost) and can hardly contain herself.

C
    C
    Ha - so familiar. DD will probably end with five 100%, two 99% and a 98% in 9th grade.

She also got 50/50 on a History test today and told me "I don't know how - I had no clue and just made something up for the very first question".

One of this year's classes was an AP class. She took the two hour exam last week - "I was done in an hour and just sketched for the rest of the time. Math 2 Subject Test last weekend, where 5 or 6 wrong is still 800 - "I might have missed one".

I keep telling her that it won't always be this easy, and I do worry about her ability to adjust when it does become hard. Fortunately, her older sister managed to adjust for college freshman engineering, and told her the stories, so she might know what's coming.

We also have extracurriculars - she's in a math club that had 12 AIME qualifiers this year, taught by college grad students, so she knows what not knowing all the answers is like. It motivates her to learn, though this is her favorite subject - hopefully it carries over.

fwiw, three of her 100% are actually higher - many tests have one or two bonus points, and there are also extra activities/assignments that can get bonus points for he grading period. She's a cumulative 230/225 in Pre-calc, before the quarter review bonus next week.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM