Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 155 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    ... I was actively thinking of the scary statistic that in one of the poorest communities (I think it might be the poorest community, actually) in the US, Oglala Lakota on the Pine Ridge reservation, 25% of children are now being born with fetal alcohol syndrome.
    Tribal reservations within the US geographical boundaries such as Pine Ridge are their own sovereign nations with their own form of government. Ironically the population you mention is poor, but somehow choosing to afford enough alcohol to damage their offspring. This is tragic. Meanwhile, I am aware of many organizations funneling care to Pine Ridge.

Originally Posted by indigo
    I believe that ultimately it is up to US taxpayers to determine how US tax money is to be spent.
    And that is what is going to happen
    It seems we agree?

Why would you be opposed to the intellectual exercise of refuting an argument on its merits?
    I would not be opposed to the intellectual exercise of refuting an argument on its merits. But rather than an argument with merits, I see strong statements of opinion:
    You can... expect parents to support... having to pay taxes or contributions for universal high quality preschool and health care for all children, since this benefits all children, regardless of parents income.
    Likewise, I am all for aggressive economic desegregation of schools, and, by means of public housing programs, neighbourhoods
    You can (and, morally, I believe, should) make sure that public services are levelled.

I understand that according to the US constitution, taxes and the budget are the purview of Congress, which is elected by US citizens regardless of taxpaying status. Is that something you’d like to see changed?
    No. But I see your question as revealing a possible misunderstanding or conflation of the concepts of:
    - voting to elect Congress,
    - Congress voting on the budget.

Do you feel that citizens of lower financial status aren’t created equal?
    No. But I feel that your question may be baiting and an attempt to veer the conversation off-topic.

What if there were a meaningful discrepancy between what a majority of citizens eligible to vote were to prefer and what a majority of taxpaying citizens would prefer?
    I would anticipate that elected representatives would continue to analyze the amount of taxes likely to be collected and available to the US government to budget for spending on various programs and services... and weigh that against the burgeoning National Debt... then attempt raising taxes, which tends to trigger taxpayer feedback.

educational outcomes... every dollar spent wisely on chiildren...
    Allocating more money to public education does not necessarily invest in children by providing more teachers, aides, materials, etc... but may instead result in higher payments to teacher's unions, salaries, benefits, more layers of government bureaucracy, administrative red tape, etc.

In the US the average government school teacher's salary:
    - exceeds average personal income,
    - is the largest part of most government school budgets,
    - may be part of a compensation package which also includes life-long post-retirement benefits.

As others have acknowledged upthread, the experiences related in the OP's article do not describe life in mainstream America. I personally do not resent the successes of others, but find them inspirational. I applaud the significant philanthropic efforts of the Davidsons, in creating the Davidson Institute for Talent Development (including this gifted issues discussion forum), following their business success.

T
    T
    I believe that ultimately it is up to US taxpayers to determine how US tax money is to be spent.
    And that is what is going to happen
    It seems we agree?
    Totally on the US part, of course! I wouldn’t agree on the taxpaying bit of it (IF it were up to me in anyway..) but I’ll get to that.
    Why would you be opposed to the intellectual exercise of refuting an argument on its merits?
    I would not be opposed to the intellectual exercise of refuting an argument on its merits. But rather than an argument with merits, I see strong statements of opinion:
    You can... expect parents to support... having to pay taxes or contributions for universal high quality preschool and health care for all children, since this benefits all children, regardless of parents income.
    Likewise, I am all for aggressive economic desegregation of schools, and, by means of public housing programs, neighbourhoods
    You can (and, morally, I believe, should) make sure that public services are levelled.

True, strong on the opinion part but bit weak on the argument part here. The argument I felt was implied was that if one agrees on the values of fairness and equality of opportunity, though not outcome - and if we disagreed on the first one, there wouldn’t be any point in talking at all, and would have assumed that the second is such a quintessential American value it’s not in question either - there needs to be some government engagement in levelling the playing field, in providing services for those children whose families can’t provide for them (as opposed to somehow compel high SES families to provide fewer services for their own children, which I think we would all agree is a ludicrous proposition).
    I understand you do not oppose support for low SES children, but feel that philanthropist engagement is preferable because it doesn’t remove agency for the wealthy the way mandatory taxation does. I argue that philanthropy is wonderful, but also spotty, unpredictable and arbitrary and thus can’t provide the stability of support that children from high SES backgrounds get from their parents but children from low SES backgrounds lack.
    Example: If a highly capable low SES student makes it into a top US university that meets full need, they’ve got it made. But it is a tiny proportion of low SES kids that even has a shot, and with acceptance rates hovering between 5 and 20%, even lower than that for regular decision, it is a minuscule proportion of low SES kids that can profit, and it’s totally unpredictable. What the vast majority of college bound low (and middling, actually) SES kids would need is their state schools meeting full need, from community colleges to the flagship because that is where almost all of them will end up. Only government funding could provide that predictability.

And then you’d have to go further and further back in these children’s life to offer them the chance to get that far.

I agree that Pine Ridge isn’t an example that can be generalised, just one of the worst ways you can deprive the children of a community of opportunities forever. Wherever you want to apportion blame, the children don’t carry any, but bear the consequences...

You can look at any drug and crime riddled neighbourhood anywhere else. Much progress has been made on tackling the crime part (with the attendant social and economic problems of large scale incarceration) but very little on the public health, education and jobs part.

If the US still being the global beacon of opportunity and social mobility that it used to be is something one cares about (one can care about that without being a US citizen, you know) it matters what other countries do, because the Atlantic article provides graphs that show that internationally, the US is falling behind on these measures.
    I understand that according to the US constitution, taxes and the budget are the purview of Congress, which is elected by US citizens regardless of taxpaying status. Is that something you’d like to see changed?
    No. But I see your question as revealing a possible misunderstanding or conflation of the concepts of:
    - voting to elect Congress,
    - Congress voting on the budget.

No misunderstanding. As elected members, they are responsible to the voters, not just the taxpaying voters. Historically, there is a lot of precedent of the franchise being granted according to economic standing, land holding, tax brackets etc.
    Do you feel that citizens of lower financial status aren’t created equal?
    No. But I feel that your question may be baiting and an attempt to veer the conversation off-topic.

Not meant to be baiting, meant to engage you in the discussion! Not the same thing for me. If you feel it is the same thing for you, I apologise.

What if there were a meaningful discrepancy between what a majority of citizens eligible to vote were to prefer and what a majority of taxpaying citizens would prefer?
    I would anticipate that elected representatives would continue to analyze the amount of taxes likely to be collected and available to the US government to budget for spending on various programs and services... and weigh that against the burgeoning National Debt... then attempt raising taxes, which tends to trigger taxpayer feedback.

See above. In reality, high SES voters and in particular rich donor voters will have more influence on spending decisions. The question is whether these rescissions then serve the country as a whole.
    educational outcomes... every dollar spent wisely on chiildren...
    In the US the average government school teacher's salary:
    - exceeds average personal income,
    - is the largest part of most government school budgets,
    - may be part of a compensation package which also includes life-long post-retirement benefits.
    Allocating more money to public education does not necessarily invest in children by providing more teachers, aides, materials, etc... but may instead result in higher payments to teacher's unions, salaries, benefits, more layers of government bureaucracy, administrative red tape, etc.

Strawman! Who is talking about teacher salaries or claiming that raising them is “spending money wisely?” Take the example of high quality preschool provision, which HAS been proved to improve life outcomes in respect to years stayed on school, employment, income, incarceration etc (in fact, turning citizens into taxpayers who might otherwise not have been!), recouping every dollar spent several times over. Win win.
    Interestingly, and more on the topic of this forum in general, these programs have been shown to NOT raise IQ scores permanently. Those will stubbornly drop back to pre-program levels. So, the genetic advantage of the „aristocracy“, as far as it goes (which is probably not as far as is being claimed) remains untouched.

As others have acknowledged upthread, the experiences related in the OP's article do not describe life in mainstream America. I personally do not resent the successes of others, but find them inspirational. I applaud the significant philanthropic efforts of the Davidsons, in creating the Davidson Institute for Talent Development (including this gifted issues discussion forum), following their business success.

Fully agreed. And all gifted kids, high or low SES, deserve focused support. I just wonder how many kids outside the privileged classes referenced on the Atlantic article are being reached.

Last edited by Tigerle; 06/06/18 06:16 AM.
    I
    I
    ... all gifted kids, high or low SES, deserve focused support.
    I partially agree. But I would say that ALL kids (not just gifted kids) deserve support, affirmation, validation... leading to internal locus of control.

I just wonder how many kids outside the privileged classes referenced on the Atlantic article are being reached.
    As previously mentioned by several posters upthread, the experiences related in the OP's article (top 0.1-10% range of household incomes) do not describe life in mainstream America.

Through extensive taxpayer-funded public services and programs, as well as private foundations, endowments, charities, non-profit organizations, many hours of pro-bono work, and volunteerism... there is outreach providing a safety net to virtually all who wish to live the American Dream of upward socioeconomic mobility through their own hard work, dedication, perseverance, struggle, sacrifice, learning from setbacks/failures. And then lending a helping hand to others.

Q
    Q
    I found the numbers a bit surprising. It is obviously that the top 0.1% is very wealthy but the next 9.9% are more affluent that I expected. According to the article, in 2016, you would need to be a millionaire (net worth of 1.2 million) to even reach the bottom of the top 10 percent.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM