Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Val #237267 03/21/17 01:42 PM
    N
    N
    If you look around College Confidential, you'll find lots of information on merit aid. Some is automatic, some not, but a high stats kid can usually get a fair amount of merit, if they know where to look. It may not be their dream college, but a decent school where they can receive a solid education for a low price.

We told our middle kid, who is a college freshman, that she needed to apply to at least one school where she would get full tuition (or more), so that she had a school that we knew would be affordable. It needed to be someplace that she liked and was willing to attend, as well. She chose a school that gave automatic full tuition for her stats. However, before she even submitted that application, she received a full tuition offer from another school she preferred.

After not getting into her dream school, she opted to go to the full tuition merit offer school. It was not an automatic award; this college practices, as many schools do, the rather gray process of evaluating applicants in a scholarship committee, so they can pick and choose which kids to give merit in a given year. In any case, she had the merit award by end of November, so she knew she was "going to college" no matter what happened. She was also NMF, so there were options there as well.

Fwtxmom, be careful about the CC route if you are looking to reduce the college price. Most merit awards are for freshman, not transfers. If he takes even one college course at the CC after his HS graduation, he will not be considered a freshman by most schools. The big merit is for college freshman - a low cost first year at CC followed by three full pay years at a four year college could end up being a lot more than four years with good merit aid.

Val #237270 03/21/17 02:22 PM
    K
    K
    This topic is near and dear to my heart. My DD is a junior and we have been trying to get her to look at some schools where she will get merit $. Even though we are unlikely to qualify for any substantial financial aid, we are not in the position to comfortably pay $71K/year (current estimate at my alma mater), particularly since my husband's job may be at risk if the current proposed federal budget goes through. We also have two other kids in the college pipeline. Trust me, we do not have $850K to spend to send the three of them to private school at full fare. DD should be a NM semi-finalist next fall but I've been hearing from several friends who have gone through the NM deal that it is rarely a full ride and more often a $2500 pat on the head these days. DD has starry eyes about going to an elite but as a parent, it's going to be tough to sell me on that price tag.

FWIW, here's an article that a college counselor sent me about schools that provide merit aid. http://new.time.com/money/best-colleges/rankings/best-colleges-for-merit-aid/
    I'm sure that there are other similar articles out there.

Val #237272 03/21/17 06:27 PM
    N
    N
    knute974, head over to College Confidential - there is an entire section with threads on NMF. The NM folks give out the $2500 scholarships, but some colleges choose to offer full tuition or more to NMFs. Elites won't offer that deal, because they have plenty of NMF applicants, and reject lots of them.

Colleges change their merit scholarships sometimes, so you need to check next fall to make sure they still offer the scholarship when your DD applies. This list is a good starting point for NMFs:
    http://nmfscholarships.yolasite.com/

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs