Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I never had my kids accompany me to learn about results of intelligence testing. I told my older son (now 20) the results of his testing after he turned 18. Well, actually, I had to because he needed to give his evaluation report to the disability office at his college in order to receive accommodations. I haven't told my younger son yet, though I found out recently that he's taken IQ tests online and the scores he's gotten are in line with the results of his official testing--which I thought was interesting because I didn't think those tests went that high.

T
    T
    Our psychologist at the time (DS was 7 I believe) told us to bring the kid so we did. I did not know she was going to share the number with DS at the time, and would have asked her not to. However, she insisted that kids who are this much of an outlier need this information about themselves to develop a healthy self concept (though she admitted she'd never met a kid with abilities this high who was so comfortable with them, and I was so glad we'd done something right, both in our parenting and on our choice of school - DS10 has loads of other issues and hangups, but he is happy and confident in his intellectual abilities).
    I still believe that a ballpark figure or range would do. At least for a kid under 14. I'd hate for numbers to come up in a conflict in his gifted program at school, or with siblings. Luckily, he has forgotten the exact number and when he asked, I gave him a general idea of his LOG without mentioning a number. If he asks at anytime after turning fourteen, I will turn it all over to him, because I agree by that point the information belongs to him.
    With an 11 yo I'd be on the fence. Agree I'd ask both the tester and her, but still think would prefer to give (or have the tester give) a general idea of LOG, with a promise that she can see all info later when she is older.
    Agree that understanding about cognitive abilities being a tool is so much more important.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM