Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    J
    These are great tips! I've gotten used to labeling everything to an extreme because I know it's all going to be lost at school at some point.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Platypus101
    All good suggestions.

I echo the giant zippered binder. For DS, once paper entered the desk or locker, it was gone. The key was to ensure that every piece of paper went into the binder instead, and came home, every day. Like yours, there was no way any paper was going to be properly placed when received in a binder or duo-tang - and teachers often gave them things without holes and little pieces of paper, so the zipper is crucial - just jam it in and zip. Then each night he had to sit down and figure out what each piece was, what work was associated with it, update his to do list, and file what was done. (And yes, all this took place with a heck of a lot of harassment, erm, I mean supervision).
    She has each subject color coded and has been good about placing the correct subjects within the right colors, but we don't have a spot for papers given out throughout the day.I will "suggest" that she create a new color for daily homework sheets, random papers to look at when she gets home and either do as homework or file as necessary.

(This binder actually had parts of the cover that could be written on with a special pen and wiped, which was actually useful for taking note of the occasional instruction - something he is very bad at taking note of).
    Very cool!!! DD could write her homework on the top of the binder!!

Our particular binder had tabs for each class on one side, and an accordion on the other, We used tabs for filing things that were complete (but still current enough he might want to reference; otherwise we purged). The accordion tabs were one for "To hand in", one for "To do" (and one actually for his laptop). As per SaturnFan, we worked on building the key habit that every time he walked into a class, he would look in the "To hand in" section to see if there was anything there for that class. If he couldn't tell me what he had to do with a specific piece of paper (what, when, how), we'd put a big post-it note with those questions on it, and put it in the hand-in section as a reminder to ask that teacher for clarification the next day.
    Another section to create - she needs a new system because the clipboard she used to hold all the homework was one of the items that was falling out of her arms. Post in notes are the best!!

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Whatever method she chooses to try (and she may want to adopt several, adjusting what works and dropping what doesn't)... she needs to buy into it, own it, and be the boss of it... truly feeling like it is her decision of how to best help herself.
    Several of you said this, and I absolutely agree. There is no forcing DD to do it anyway but "her own". We had a great time shopping for an agenda earlier in the year. She spent ages finding the perfect one.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Ivy
    So I organize stuff for a living (I'm a project manager), but back when I was a student I was terribly disorganized, scattered, and spacey! Here are some tips that may help you and your DD get through this.

Second, my DD also has a very large school and a locker in an obscure location. Not having time to drop by between each class may be accurate. But it could be that your DD just doesn't have the skills to put together a plan. For example: Go to morning classes with the red binder, visit locker before lunch, and then take the blue binder to afternoon classes. That said, my DD insisted for years that everything must be in one location. If your DD can remember to visit the locker just for her instrument, that will lighten the load considerably. I like the idea of alarms. If phones aren't allowed, maybe a watch or tiny non-connected digital organizer?

The idea of coming up with a "locker schedule" might work. She could write the new schedule in her new binder that we are going to buy as soon as the holiday begins!!!!! Thanks to all who mentioned the "Mighty Binder". I will have to suggest she write "visit band room" to get her instrument at the end of the day because she cannot put her instrument in her locker (so she says - will check up on that). The phones are not allowed in class so I am going to check up on a tiny organizer. I will check that out in a minute.
    Thank you all so much!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM