Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 360 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    L
    Welcome. smile Take a deep breath...it's going to be fine. I could not agree more with the PP. You are still raising the same child.

Remember throughout this adventure: your child's path, is your child's path. You need to evaluate your child's needs as an individual.

Indeed, enjoy the ride!

A
    Arrw09 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    chay- That is me!! I research until I could teach the subject b/c until I do, I feel like I'm drowning. Harder to find time to do this now w/ a severe ADHD hubby and a 22 mos old on top of half-day kindergartner...but I'm trying. Currently reading "Mind in the Making" at the suggestion of the neuropsych but haven't gotten far yet. There is a possibility that DD5's score is artificially depressed b/c she hit 3 ceilings in the subtests, although only 2 of them were included in her scores. I really cannot stand the "not sure" parts of all this. I want to know exactly what I'm dealing with and then I want to know everything I can about it. Anything less makes me panicky! I'm particularly unnerved by how to parent/discipline her...but this was a concern prior to the eval.

Loy58 Now I have that song in my mind smile I just don't want to screw her up. I guess that's every parent's fear.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by Arrw09
    George C we've had a few say the same. It seems like I'm the one having the biggest time accepting the level. But I keep reading and hopefully it will subside soon.
    It should. Though it might take you a few more months. smile

If it makes you feel any better, I called the testing psych after we got our results back for DS. I was insisting that there must have been some kind of mistake, and she laughed...quite a while...then assured me that this wasn't the case.

I'm still figuring out all the terminology. I don't know if she's considered PG or highly gifted or even how big of a difference it is.
    There isn't really standard terminology, though there does appear to be consensus that scoring 145 or higher on a modern IQ test lands you firmly in the PG range. From a practical perspective, individual needs will vary so greatly that differentiating between HG/EG/PG is probably not very useful. It's best to follow each child's needs and be ready to do things that aren't typically age appropriate.

A
    Arrw09 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by George C
    If it makes you feel any better, I called the testing psych after we got our results back for DS. I was insisting that there must have been some kind of mistake, and she laughed...quite a while...then assured me that this wasn't the case.

OMG. I just called the Gifted Development Center in CO last week and discussed the same thing. She laughed, too, when I asked if it could be falsely elevated. She said- No, but it could be falsely depressed. When she told me they deal w/ kids in this range all the time b/c these are the parents that seek them out, I got teary. So much of this is still so overwhelming. It's like- Okay parent, so your kid will either cure cancer or drop out of school and suffer from depression, all depends on whether or not you can get your stuff together. No pressure. lolol Gah, I need a drink and to get out of my head.

We had a similar reaction when we got our DD's scores about 4 years ago.

Extreme shock followed by a stunned mixture of fascination (like watching something almost obscene that you cannot drag your eyes off of) and denial.

I called the tester afterwards too because she had enclosed a DYS leaflet in the package that we left with after she had walked us through the results. After reading about what DYS is from their website, I called the testing psych to check whether they gave out the leaflet to all testees as a matter of course because terms like 1 in 1000/PG just did not seem to fit our 'normal' (to us at least) child.

I used the DYS application process as another objective confirmation of our daughter's LOG because I still could not accept the result.

We met with her grade school staff to discuss the results with them and the school psych blurted out that she had never seen higher schools (admittedly she was young and we live in a rural area).

It was a funny episode because the rest of the table had been looking at us with the expected blank, stony and borderline bored expressions prior to brushing us off with 'all of our pupils are gifted' canned response. When the school psych blurted that out the whole line of stony faces visibly deflated and looked at her with a 'now why did you have to say that?' expression LOL.

DD being accepted by DYS and that episode convinced me that DD was gifted and further frantic reading confirmed that she was at least HG/EG (I am still not comfortable with PG).

The community on this forum has been and continues to be tremendously helpful with posters like Aeh, Portia, Val, Polarbear and HowlerKarma being particularly pithy posters. I also scan for posts by loy58 because our DDs are of similar age, potential and personality - I am convinced that you will find similarly well matched parent/parents here.

It steepened the curve on my ability to accept my DD's results and more importantly gave a ton of useful information on how best to support her.

As others have said; welcome and enjoy the ride!

Become what you are
    C
    C
    So much of this is still so overwhelming. It's like- Okay parent, so your kid will either cure cancer or drop out of school and suffer from depression, all depends on whether or not you can get your stuff together. No pressure. lolol
    Again, I can totally relate. For me what helped was to sit back, breath and look at the bigger picture. For me my main parenting goal is the same as it was before I knew their IQ's - to help them become happy productive members of society and to encourage them to set the bar higher than living in my basement playing video games lol. It is up to them to figure out what is important to them, pursue their version of happiness and figure out where their passion lies. I can only hope that DH and I lead by example and help them keep as many doors open as possible and encourage them to make some decent choices when they choose which ones they want to go through.

For the depression/dropping out side of things I look back into my family tree and friends and see more than a few cautionary tales so even before we had scores this was always high on my radar. Not all were gifted so it helped me to realize that it can happen to all types. I also feel confident that we live in an age where there are more alternatives than ever to traditional school if we ever need to explore them. I have no idea where DH and I fit on the gifted curve but we both learned from our experiences and hopefully our children will benefit from that. I figure we are both miles ahead of our parents when they sent us off to school. My mom still tells the story about being shocked that I was on the honor roll in junior high shocked

On the cure cancer side - yes PG kids are rare but when you look at the population of a country or the world there are still a lot of them. Not all of them are going to cure cancer or change the world and that is ok. Yes my kids often stick out in a crowd locally but then I come here and read the wonderful stories about kids here that make them look like they are in the slow lane and it helps give me some perspective. It will be ok if my two don't end up being the ones that cure cancer because there are lots of kids here that just might smile

Finally, I will add that it seems to come in waves for us. Sometimes parenting my intense kids is completely overwhelming and it seems impossible. Then we somehow get through it and have smooth sailing for a while until it swings back again. Over the years I've figured out who I can vent to and confide in and who understands that gifted isn't all a gift at times. Whether IRL or via some anonymous forum these people have been a lifeline (and in many cases great drinking partners haha).

LAF Offline
    Okay parent, so your kid will either cure cancer or drop out of school and suffer from depression, all depends on whether or not you can get your stuff together. No pressure. lolol Gah, I need a drink and to get out of my head.

I totally understand this smile

I think you do have to up your parenting, but it's more about supporting their abilities and their interests, listening, and not assuming there is only one way to do things. If they feel valued and can pursue goals, depression and dropping out is probably less of a problem (fyi I dropped out of school in 9th grade, then went back and got my GED at 16, then went to college and got my degree - this stuff does happen. In fact my grandmother graduated high school at 16, and my mother as well, so I was doomed, right? :)). Anyway my DS was begging me to homeschool him in 3rd grade- he hated going to school everyday, even though he was at an exceptional elementary school. He is now at a highly gifted middle school and he told me the other day he loves his school. He doesn't feel weird anymore, and it's okay for him to be smart. I purposely chose a school that didn't feel super competitive (there was another school for highly gifted that was also very much about high achievement) because I didn't want him to be under too much pressure to perform. Now he is saying to me "this boy did better on the math test, I want to work harder at math so I can do as well as he did"…so he is pushing himself (setting his own goals) which is what I want him to do. Situational depression comes from feeling helpless and trapped. If you can keep opening windows and doors for your child when they are ready for them, they will learn that they can keep flying. Teach them how to open them themselves too smile I think these kids have minds that don't stop. They aren't happy when their minds have nothing to do. That said, my brother finds meditation is very helpful as well. So learning how to feed the mind and quiet the mind are useful tools.

And regarding the cure cancer thing…. I have explained to my kids that being gifted is like being a tall kid that likes playing basketball. They have a genetic advantage over other kids, but they can still be outplayed by a shorter player that has better skills, teamwork, etc. Plus, there's an element of luck and being in the right place at the right time. AND if they grow up and don't want to play basketball anymore, that's okay too, as long as they continue to be productive and well adjusted people.

I think it is important to explain it to them that way because no one explained to me what gifted was, and even though no one put pressure on me to cure cancer, that does hang in the air and will make you feel guilty about "not fulfilling your potential."

And these forums have been a lifesaver for me. When I first found out my kids were highly gifted, I didn't believe it. I had to talk myself into it by looking at the facts (dad went to MIT, mom went to Stanford etc., both my parents extremely intelligent plus tester had been doing it for 20 years)… and I had to lather rinse repeat because I kept going back into denial. Plus the folks on here really helped me to understand what it all means.

So hang in there, I can tell you will do a great job because you are out there learning how to help YOUR child- not some generic child in a parenting book - that in my opinion is the cornerstone of great parenting.

S
    S
    Brand new to this group too. I'm also excited and relieved to find a group that understands! Hopefully I don't ramble too much smirk

One of the previous commenters talked about looking for confirmation. My son was just accepted into YS so there's one more thing to help me verify his giftedness. I've had doubts all along, even though my son's pediatrician insisted he was gifted. Even after his psychologist, who specializes in giftedness, showed me the results of the WISC, I doubted. She looked at me perplexed when I questioned the scores.

I've been going through the same whirlwind of emotions. I go back and forth from disbelief to belief. My 8yo son is all I have ever known. Everything to me seems like normal behavior. I'm an older Mom with a child that was not supposed to be (his father was not supposed to be able to have kids), but here I am...SURPRISE...a mom to a gifted 8yo. I am an only child so I have no children around to compare him to. Playdates are so brief. There were odd moments when he showed his giftedness but I didn't think anything of it. Comments like "he's so smart" I equated to him being an only child.

His pediatrician recommended I have him evaluated when he was around 3-4 but I blew her off insisting he was an only child and that was why he spoke like a little adult. As he grew older I shared my fears with her...he doesn't fit in, he's being picked on, he's not interested in what other kids enjoy, he's sooo emotional. Finally around 6yo she insisted I take him to be tested. She told me she knew he was gifted. She informed me he was going to be different then other kids and he was going to have struggles; but that there are groups and schools that understand giftedness. She told me opportunities would be available to him that could benefit him tremendously. So I had him tested at 6.5yo...it blew me away, she was right.

School has always been an issue since pre-K. He's had 6 teachers and been in 4 different schools. Only 2 of those teachers understood him. His K teacher was the last and she was marvelous. 1st grade was a disaster after 2 separate schools, both acclaimed for their gifted programs, we were done. Now I homeschool and my little boy is back. I hadn't realized I'd slowly been losing him. Once we started homeschooling in March in about 2 weeks the change was dramatic. Now he is happy again, his imagination is overwhelming, he's constantly building or drawing some odd contraption. The questions come flying at me...Thank God for Google Home! He's reading at the level he wants. But now that I'm homeschooling, how do I deal with him once his knowledge gets beyond my comprehension. He's already wanting to make things out of broken electrical devices and I have no clue how to help him.

But I'm still second guessing, even with his pediatricians insistence he is gifted and his high scores on the WISC. Now maybe I will stop second guessing with the YS acceptance...I doubt it. My son has issues with psi and wmi, possibly ADHD. So writing, concentration, memorization, emotional control and other areas can be difficult for him. Then there's the fact I'm not gifted nor is his dad. I'm one of those "I don't know what I want to do people". I went to school for engineering and after changing my major 4+ times I finally graduated with a BS in Art photography and Ceramics. What can you do with a BS in Art Photography and Ceramics when it comes to homeschooling a gifted 8yo?

The doubt and second guessing continues but now my main concern is how am I going to teach this little being? I hope I will figure out this huge journey ahead of me...I was a flight attendant at one time maybe that will help smile

Good Luck! I'm with you.

A
    Arrw09 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you all for your insight and tips. A note- I don't actually expect DD5 to cure cancer, just trying to illustrate the extremes in the spectrum and how overwhelming it all feels.

We just got acceptance today into the DYS program so I'm eager to find her a tribe that gets it, all of it.

Thanks again!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs