Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 232 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #233796 09/15/16 01:29 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    My son 7 year old son is not interested in reading. I know I shouldn't stress about it but I am confused. He is moderately gifted, does well in school and reads well. I have tried every genre, easy books, harder books (with better plots) and motivating with a reward system (a small token) for books read. He still won't read in his free time.
    I am not sure why this irks me so. I am a reader and his brother has a book in his hands 24/7.
    SHould I worry or just forget it? Any ideas to help him get engaged?
    Thanks!

G
    G
    Have you tried graphic novels? That can really help some kids get "over the hump," so to speak. And there's a bunch of really good ones out there.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks George. These work for my daughter but for some reason my younger son is averse to reading them. He doesn't like humor in books oddly enough. Are there any other boy series that are not funny?

C
    C
    Have you tried more factual books for kids like sports or tornadoes or sharks, that kind of stuff? Have you tried taking him to the library and letting him explore and choose a few different types to try out? What else is competing for his attention during free time? If video games or tv are options, some kids will usually choose those. Does he have trouble reading? Sometimes if you are offering books that are too hard, it may feel like too much work. Just some thoughts.

G
    G
    My DS enjoyed Encyclopedia Brown at that age. That's good if he likes mysteries.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Does he enjoy it if you read to him? And have you tried targeting his areas of interest? What does he enjoy? Sports? Trivia? Biographies? Books related to video games? Have you tried tapping all possible hooks? We're such book fiends in our house that if there's a book out there he might enjoy, I could probably help you find it! smile

H
    H
    What does he choose to do in his spare time? I wonder if you could find books about those things that he chooses to do.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks everyone for the thoughtful inout. I've tried everything suggested here. The other strange thing is that he will read half of the book. He's probably read 100 half books. The other problem is that he does not have much spare time. He plays soccer four days a week and has a good amount of homework. We limit TV and videogames but on the weekends when he is free those are options that he will always pick over books.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    How about books half as long as the ones you've tried? 😀

KJP #233808 09/15/16 09:12 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Ha. Tried b give him shorter books. He feels they are "too babyish". Maybe I should stop trying.is it unusual for a gifted kid to not love reading? His brother is a voracious reader.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM