Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 172 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    The description of your child sounds exactly like my boy at the same age a year ago! Extrovert, weak fine motor, off the charts academics, easily overwhelmed.

I'll agree with PPs about the play-based K. My boy's private school this past year was primarily play, and it was a perfect fit for him.

We were also anxious for him about how school would handle his mix of things, but maturity has helped so much. He's no longer overwhelmed or especially anxious. His fine motor skills are dramatically better, even so much that he enjoys drawing (truely shocking). With his level of reading, he can pick up so much independently from books, and now with good writing, he's able to do math work with minimal help.

I'll agree with SAHM that 5.5 is much different from 4.5 (and so much better). My extrovert would miss school too much for homeschooling, but a good school with lots of play is a great compromise.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by SAHM
    Hi Aquinas,
    I have not been on these boards for ages, but thought I would check in. My son is almost exactly a year older than yours. In the past year, his learning has become remarkably more independent. I have to say age 5.5 is really a pleasure. I wish I could hit the pause button for a while...

We chose to homeschool and it has worked for us so far. In your shoes, I would hire a private tutor (or nanny) whose main roles are to play and shuttle to extra curricular activities. These kids learn so fast, you can cover material when you are home from work.

My second choice would be the play based kindergarten. I think a lot of damage can be done by a bad academic fit and PG kids have long memories...

I would be hesitant to put a 5 year old boy with 8+ year old boys regularly without significant scaffolding, because you can run into some pretty negative bullying situations (or at least power plays). You need a very special group of kids to avoid that kind of dynamic -- particularly if the 5 year old boy is viewed as smarter than the 8 year olds.

Yes on all 3 counts. To your last point, I felt uneasy with such a large age gap at 5. Maybe down the road, or for SSA, but not as a first exposure to school. Academic needs are a part of DS, not the whole of DS, and the social and emotional part of the equation is probably what's most important for DS right now.

We're going to go with a blend of your options 1 and 2, where the part-time caregiver in 1 is a family member who likes exploring with DS.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by DianaG
    The description of your child sounds exactly like my boy at the same age a year ago! Extrovert, weak fine motor, off the charts academics, easily overwhelmed.

I'll agree with PPs about the play-based K. My boy's private school this past year was primarily play, and it was a perfect fit for him.

We were also anxious for him about how school would handle his mix of things, but maturity has helped so much. He's no longer overwhelmed or especially anxious. His fine motor skills are dramatically better, even so much that he enjoys drawing (truely shocking). With his level of reading, he can pick up so much independently from books, and now with good writing, he's able to do math work with minimal help.

I'll agree with SAHM that 5.5 is much different from 4.5 (and so much better). My extrovert would miss school too much for homeschooling, but a good school with lots of play is a great compromise.

Thanks Diana, it's great to hear from someone whose child followed a similar path and thrived! I hope that will be the case for DS and, if not, there seem to be some good alternatives if we need to pivot next year.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM