Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    It's a work in procrastinating progress here. We got off to a strong start a few months ago and booked a few camps then stalled out.

There seem to be a lot of half day or shorter camps in our area, which isn't all that convenient.

So far, DS9 has a short baseball camp, morning soccer camp, robotics camps and Camp Invention. He has asked for some time off but we prefer him to have a bit fuller schedule than what we have lined up at the moment!

This is the first summer DS6 won't be in daycare. He has Camp Invention and a local museum Star Wars camp so far, definitely needs more. Fewer things available for him due to age and we missed out on spots for some of the good ones back in March when they opened. frown

C
    C
    My middle school son is doing an online pre-algebra class, one week of band camp, one week of a makeup scout camp because his troupe is going the week he has band camp (the area scouts are trying to put together the make up camp for the boys who have to miss). Maybe a week of math camp but he wont be going if it is dull and remedial and not fun and geared to gifted kids...I know the teacher so I have to find out the focus. Maybe some beach weekends.

High school son. Getting hours in practicing driving whether he wants to or not. Swimming practice m-f mornings and twice a week in the afternoons. Four three day swimmeets. PSAT/SAT math PREP-khan academy. Lots of eating and sleeping.

M
    M
    Practice. And more practice.

DD5 may not be burning out but I think I am.

J
    J
    Rising 8th grader is taking a five week, one-year high school geometry class at the community college. 9 hours a week for 5 weeks. He took their Algebra I class last year and learned a lot, which made Algebra I this year a breeze. Swim team practice daily, one week sleep away orchestra camp... Hanging with the friends!
    Rising 6th grader is taking a bunch of one-week science camps, one week of boy scout camp with parent, one week orchestra camp, swim team practice... Their little brains have already checked out of school, with only a few weeks left!!

Visiting Blighty for a family wedding followed by crystals and polymers CTY class in turn followed by recovery fortnight and then skool daze resume.

Become what you are
    P
    P
    madeinuk - would love a review of the CTY course when your daughter is done! I've never been able to find much info about the science classes.

O
    O
    DS4 is doing a preschool camp that he loved last year where the councilors are generally all preschool teachers with early education degrees or in a degree program. I love that part, because I still think a typical teenage camp councilor would be way over their head with DS. We signed up for as many weeks as we could for half-days. I really believe in unstructured down-time for kids but have learned the hard way that for DS it is better done for a few hours a day than weeks at a time. Over spring break we clearly could not meet his needs for exercise, socialization, and stimulation, even with lots of planned day trips! He needs other kids to tire him out 🙂

Last edited by Ocelot; 05/23/16 07:56 AM.
    B
    B
    DS17 is busy all summer and I'll barely see him. A AP Bio trip for 10 days. Then 4 weeks as a CIT (counselor in training) at the wilderness camp where he has attended for the past 5 summers. Home for two weeks of band/flag team camp. And in the breaks between activities start that college essay, take online health and possibly fit in a few more visits to colleges. Only 2 1/2 more weeks of school to go this year.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM