Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 298 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    This is an old thread I started on Preschooler's Passions that may give you some ideas of activities.

DS is now nine and in a charter school that allows him to take math two years above level. He always liked numbers and has an excellent memory like your little one.

Follow his interest always and don't be shy about teaching beyond "age appropriate".

J
    Johnny Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by trio
    Great advice above - follow his interests, and also ensure that you actively build areas of relative weakness. Integrated activities that build both on areas of interest and skills he might not be as interested in developing are great - puzzles, craft projects, practical life skills, etc. As for critical thinking, you can extrapolate from what he knows and ask him questions that require him to extend his thinking. "what do you think happened next? How would you figure x out? How do you think this made Y feel? etc.

It also sounds as though he is on the cusp of truly reading - give him a basic phonics book, go through it a few times, then set him loose with whatever reading material sparks his interest. Our children liked many of the Usbourne and DK books, which typically combine interesting information with text.

As a word of warning DS5 was similar as a toddler; he has a phenomenal memory and reads voraciously. About six months ago we realized that when he disputes us on a matter of fact/general knowledge he is almost always correct. Brace yourself and be ready to explain why a sleep-deprived overworked adult mind may not be that great at holding random facts in memory :-)

@Trio
    These usborne books interest me, as I'm looking for books that we can move in a progression, which seems to be how that series operates. My concern is the words might be british english (colour instead of color).
    Is that the case. I would looking at this set Usbourne 50 book Set

I did buy a workbook that we go through together Beginning Critical Thinking. The first part of this book is too easy for him, but they do have something thinking challenges so that's been fun.

Has anyone used an OSMO seems interesting?
    OSMO

Originally Posted by Johnny
    @Trio
    These usborne books interest me, as I'm looking for books that we can move in a progression, which seems to be how that series operates. My concern is the words might be british english (colour instead of color).
    Is that the case. I would looking at this set Usbourne 50 book Set

I did buy a workbook that we go through together Beginning Critical Thinking. The first part of this book is too easy for him, but they do have something thinking challenges so that's been fun.

OSMO

Osmo looks cool but way overpriced. Can you look into simple tangrams?

I gather you're interested in teaching reading with the Usborne book set. My older boy didn't like the Usborne books, so I can't personally recommend them. I'd caution against buying such a big set if you don't know if you're child will enjoy them; honestly, the library is an excellent resource of beginner books. If you find a well-loved set, then buy away (my three-year-old's favorite is Elephant and Piggie).

For teaching to read, I have used a couple of curriculums with my five-year-old a couple years ago and now with my three-year-old (very informal, 10 or 15 minutes per day), and I can make some recommendations if you like. Feel free to PM.

FWIW, my boys' school is British, and our books are a mix. ODS has never commented on the spelling differences (nor stumbled over them). I have been unsuccessful at teaching my five-year-old french fries instead of chips, and he now has a British accent as well.

H
    HJA Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by Johnny
    [quote=trio]

OSMO

We bought an OSMO for our family as a summer treat. I personally really like it, but I admit I am a sucker for marketing! Our DS5 enjoys it as well. We actually signed one out from our local library last summer and really enjoyed it. This year they came out with a coding game and our DS5 is going to do a coding camp this summer, so I just couldn't resist. It is expensive, but I looked at it as a game we can all play together (our DS5 is an only child) and a game that DS5 can play with his cousins while on vacation.

Last edited by HJA; 06/20/16 08:35 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader