Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 266 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
    dd attends an out of school program one full day a week, no drama at all as it is govt approved. I'd love to full time HS her but work is required at this time in our lives ......

BNot all schools make it easy. DS9 missed practically every field trip (even when other classes in his year went other days) and so much of the more enjoyable stuff it was a problem. Then the school extension classes were also scheduled the same day. It wasn't deliberate it was just "you think we arsn't good enough so it is your own fault". While theoretically principal's can permit absence at their discretion it is generally for kids with physical/mental/behavoiral health issues.

I know we have been incredibly lucky - our experience seems to be the exception to the norm.

M
    mom2R&R Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you for all the responses. I finally dug up some Maryland state laws and it looks like Maryland specifically is not open to the idea.

"Can a student who is home schooled participate in other aspects of the instructional or extracurricular programs that are offered by a Maryland public school?

No. Present regulations indicate no provision which allow homeschooled students to participate in courses or activities that are offered by a Maryland public school other than the standardized testing program. [COMAR 13A.10.01]"

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

P
    P
    Is there allowance for a public school student to do some subjects at home/on line etc? Similar effect but in reverse?

Last edited by puffin; 04/04/16 10:57 PM.
    T
    T
    Hello, new to the group.

Am also planning to do a public school/ homeschool hybrid. Homeschool portion really for the gifted portion, as little one's public school has limited accessibility to gifted programs.

I actually like this set up quite a bit, as kid gets to enjoy great friendships and more structure at school during the day but receives one-on-one attention from me in the afternoon for the other stuff. Anyone with success with this? What was your "routine" or set up like? How often did you do one-on-one teaching, ie weekly, biweekly or daily? What resources did you use? I prefer not to overlap with his public school curriculum because I don't want kid to then get bored at school but hope to explore or work on new topics in different ways.

Would love to brainstorm on this or get more insight. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM