Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by RRD
    From the age of 3, he would use words like "soaring", "investigating", "gather", "chorus", "hypothesis", etc. And he speaks so differently than most kids - "leave the door ajar", "quench my thirst", "harvesting snow", "good engineering", "scurried across", "slipped past", and so on. The other day, we were reading a Batman book and he said "Poison Ivy said 'divine', get it?".
    This is my (HG+) kid, to a fault.

Originally Posted by RRD
    Mind you, I should add that DS is probably only MG. And quite frankly, I think most people and their DC on here are on a whole different level.
    I felt nearly the same way you did about my DS before he took the WISC.

Originally Posted by indigo
    For my 2 cents: your child is probably more than moderately gifted. It is sometimes difficult for gifted parents to see profound giftedness in their child as the child may blend in well with gifted parents (who may also underestimate their level of giftedness... an "imposter syndrome" corollary of the Dunning-Kruger effect).
    I strongly second this notion.

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    I sincerely doubt that our DSs are on par! I did a quick scan of a few of your posts, and I can guarantee you that my DS is not applying laws of physics. wink He will use the word "engineering" correctly, but certainly wouldn't be able to make a suspension bridge out of match sticks or anything. In my view, that's a critical difference.

Mind you, there are other aspects of his intelligence that are really interesting too. He has always had a neat ability to perceive things in an interesting way and/or make neat connections. We were stuck in traffic once when he was 3 and he piped up with "We need Sergeant Murphy!" (a character who is always directing traffic in Richard Scarry books). He was 4 and would compare the whipping in the ice-cream maker to a tornado. He sees a spot where kids were digging in the snow and he says it looks like a meteorite crater. He sees a big fluffy snowfall and says it looks like a snow globe. And there are countless examples like this. I just love his way of seeing the world!

He also comes up with the wildest questions sometimes, like last year: "Mommy, what do you call that when you look at the sun and it looks small but you know it's really, really big?" or "How did the very first plants get made?". But it's not like he's going to turn around and learn everything about evolutionary biology or anything!

Whatever it is, it's still pretty cool to witness. But if he's anything more than MG, I'll eat my hat. smile

LAF Offline
    Originally Posted by RRD
    I sincerely doubt that our DSs are on par! I did a quick scan of a few of your posts, and I can guarantee you that my DS is not applying laws of physics. wink He will use the word "engineering" correctly, but certainly wouldn't be able to make a suspension bridge out of match sticks or anything. In my view, that's a critical difference.

Mind you, there are other aspects of his intelligence that are really interesting too. He has always had a neat ability to perceive things in an interesting way and/or make neat connections. We were stuck in traffic once when he was 3 and he piped up with "We need Sergeant Murphy!" (a character who is always directing traffic in Richard Scarry books). He was 4 and would compare the whipping in the ice-cream maker to a tornado. He sees a spot where kids were digging in the snow and he says it looks like a meteorite crater. He sees a big fluffy snowfall and says it looks like a snow globe. And there are countless examples like this. I just love his way of seeing the world!

He also comes up with the wildest questions sometimes, like last year: "Mommy, what do you call that when you look at the sun and it looks small but you know it's really, really big?" or "How were the very first plants made?". But it's not like he's going to turn around and learn everything about evolutionary biology or anything!

Whatever it is, it's still pretty cool to witness. But if he's anything more than MG, I'll eat my hat. smile

This is all very associated with some level of giftedness. And yes, don't expect physics breakthroughs necessarily… there are some of them on here.. but there are just as many who have kids who look like NT kids and get tested because they seem to have behavioral things going on and then they find out the kid is HG+ and that's where the behavior was coming from. It's actually considered better in a lot of ways if they are MG because they often need less interventions.

So… once he is old enough to test reliably (maybe around 7 or 8) we shall see if you will have to buy a new hat - wink

A
    A
    Originally Posted by RRD

I agree with LAF. Your DS may not know how to apply laws of physics, doesn't mean he's not HG. I've known my DS7 is gifted since he was just one something. However, I never realized he is PG until he took the WISC-V test last December. He started off with being obsessed with alphabets and then started writing and drawing them and then he started drawing other things on iPad (using his fingers) and on paper. Sometimes he's pretty creative. His most recent love is drawing abstract things with different colors and shapes. So until your DS is tested, you never know wink

G
    G
    Originally Posted by RRD
    I sincerely doubt that our DSs are on par! I did a quick scan of a few of your posts, and I can guarantee you that my DS is not applying laws of physics. wink
    Hah! I don't remember exactly what I said in the past about DS "applying the laws of physics," but I'm pretty sure it was deductive and observational (such as being able to say that inertia contributes to a particular physical phenomenon). He's not solving world physics problems just yet. wink

Originally Posted by RRD
    And when mine was 3, he thought that those cheap vegetable steamers looked like a peacock tail. It is definitely fun to listen to. Your kid and mine are most definitely cut from the same cloth!

Originally Posted by RRD
    But if he's anything more than MG, I'll eat my hat. smile
    So that you're ready, I recommend this one: http://www.coveryourhair.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/nacho-hat.jpg

Last edited by George C; 03/02/16 02:16 PM.
    I
    I
    ... or an Easter bonnet with Peeps upon it!
    smile

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Ok, I'm likely not gifted because I can't for the life of me figure out how to quote others with the nifty little box... Can anyone help me? It's a very useful feature that I can't figure out how to use... smile

G
    G
    Originally Posted by RRD
    Ok, I'm likely not gifted because I can't for the life of me figure out how to quote others with the nifty little box... Can anyone help me? It's a very useful feature that I can't figure out how to use... smile
    If you click on the Quote link below a post, it gives you a good starting point to understand the markup involved. But basically you use square brackets [ and ] with the word quote in them to start a quote, and the [/ leading characters, the word quote and then a closing ] to end it.

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    If you click on the Quote link below a post, it gives you a good starting point to understand the markup involved. But basically you use square brackets [ and ] with the word quote in them to start a quote, and the [/ leading characters, the word quote and then a closing ] to end it.

Thanks, George C. It's the / that I was missing. smile

I
    I
    LOL, one need not be autodidactic to be gifted... curiosity and a drive to learn may be better hallmarks of giftedness than being self-taught. You're certainly curious and this is a safe place to ask questions.

How to Quote:

When signed in to the forum and reading the post of another, there are a number of clickable options displayed in blue text in the lower right corner below the post (Reply, Quote, Quick Reply, Quick Quote, Notify, Email Post).

Select and click "Quote".

This will quote the entire post you have been reading, and place it in an editable text box window, which is the beginning of your reply. Edit at will, removing the text you did not wish to quote. Note that the quote begins with square brackets and the username of the person who wrote the text... and ends with square brackets.

Once you get used to the square brackets, you can edit matched sets of square brackets into your replies as you see fit.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM