Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    P
    P
    It won't change anything. The real issue is that as many as 20 students are fighting for each seat at an elite university. No matter how you change the admissions criteria, people will come up with ways to game the system. The packaging has been and will still be exactly what the AOs look for.

Putting more focus on intangible criteria (essay, letters, volunteering work the nature and quality of which are hard to assess beyond what the students describe), instead of the tangibles (courses taken, test scores, etc), only means that colleges will have a much easier time defending their admissions decisions.

In terms of wellroundedness, I also agree with Thomas Percy. I think plenty of people have said that this is just a way to see which middle-class families have the means to help their kids jump through all hoops (the rich kids don't need to jump, they just walk right around the hoops).

the rich kids don't need to jump, they just walk right around the hoops).

Which is basically the definition of privilege, right?

Become what you are
    Originally Posted by madeinuk

But what good is being wealthy if you can't buy privilege?

Merit and Industriousness ------> Wealth and Capital ------> Privilege and Superiority

M
    M

I am interested to hear what people think is "rich" enough to be able to waltz into a top 10 school without the requisite grades. The answers should be interesting--I will get popcorn ready.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by mithawk

I am interested to hear what people think is "rich" enough to be able to waltz into a top 10 school without the requisite grades. The answers should be interesting--I will get popcorn ready.

I'll bite. "Rich enough" =

Mummy and Daddy donated $5 million for a new building. Yes, this happens. It's been documented.

The process isn't so crass as, "Will you admit my little snowflake if I make a big donation?" But it's still there.

Originally Posted by WSJ article
    Top schools ranging from Stanford University to Emory University say they occasionally consider parental wealth in admission decisions. Other elite schools, such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology, say parental means don't influence them. "I understand why universities leverage parent contacts to enrich themselves," says Marilee Jones, dean of admissions at MIT. "If somebody's offering them a check, why not take it? But I honestly think it's out of control."

Yet in recent years, Duke says it has relaxed these standards to admit 100 to 125 students annually as a result of family wealth or connections, up from about 20 a decade ago. ... The numbers have increased under Ms. Keohane, Duke's current president. Duke says it admitted about 125 nonalumni children in 1998, and again in 1999, who had been tentatively rejected or wait-listed prior to considering family connections. It accepted 99 such students in 2000. Similar data aren't available for 2001 or 2002, the school says.

Stanford

Ivies via hacked email at Sony

I could go on, but your popcorn is burning.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by mithawk

I'll bite. "Rich enough" =

Mummy and Daddy donated $5 million for a new building. Yes, this happens. It's been documented.
    I guess "rich kids" are a politically correct group to slander. The fact some super-rich parents have gotten their children in through donations does not mean that most Ivy matriculants from rich families had parents who did so. As I have written before http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ch_college_and_does_it_m.html#Post195611 :

Since income is positively correlated with IQ, and IQ is highly heritable, a disproportionate number of the smartest high school students come from rich families, who are paying full freight. That's why even though 29% of Harvard students came from families with incomes of $250K+, including 14% from families with incomes of $500K+, the richest kids had the highest SAT scores on average, according to a survey of Harvard freshman:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2013/9/4/freshman-survey-admissions-aid/
    Freshman Survey Part II: An Uncommon App
    The Crimson’s Survey of Freshmen Shines Light on Admissions, Financial Aid, and Recruiting
    By LAYA ANASU and MICHAEL D. LEDECKY
    September 4, 2013

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Bostonian, if you read the articles I linked to, you'll see that they admit kids who had been rejected BEFORE the college considered the family's situation. No one is slandering anyone, unless the students they interviewed and the email writers were slandering themselves.

You've contradicted yourself:

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    If there are many more applicants than seats, I can't think of a better way of admitting people than the quality and quantity of academic output.

Which one is it? Do you favor admitting kids because of academic success or because of donations? You've argued against affirmative action here in the past as a process that admits people who aren't capable. Isn't admitting donor kids doing the exact same thing?

You can't claim that they only take a tiny number of students whose parents bought the kid's way in. In the WSJ story I quoted, Duke admitted 125 wealthy students because of family connections. That's nearly 4% of total admits. All of them had been either rejected or wait-listed. That means that 125 academically more-deserving students were rejected outright or didn't get off the wait list because of donor admits.

The daughter of an investment banker, [Ms. Diemar] applied early to Duke despite an 1190 SAT score. Her candidacy was deferred to the spring.

She then buttressed her application with recommendations from two family friends who were Duke donors, and she was accepted. "I needed something to make me stand out," says Ms. Diemar, a sociology major with a 3.2 grade point average, below the 3.4 average of the senior class.

A 3.2 high school GPA is not exactly the stuff of valedictorianship. How many valedictorians got rejected in favor of this young woman and her 1190 on the SAT?

W
    W
    I know 2 instances where $10 mil didn't get acceptance into Harvard. And the kids were decent, not stellar, but decent in grades.

But they are getting donations in the hundreds of millions, so it is all relative.

Aren't we on this forum because our kids have great scores and grades? And they can get some great options for college? If some rich kid got in because family donated 400 mil for a new research center, I am glad because there is a new research center for my kid at her school. Isn't that why Duke is taking the money. To be a top college you need whatever money you can generate. If your alumni isn't giving, take it from the front end.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wren, your kid might get rejected because a donor kid got accepted. In fact, given how widespread the problem is, your kid likely WILL get rejected by at least one college for that very reason, unless you don't apply in the US.

Remember also that these colleges have endowments that run into the billions. How many more millions do they really need?

This is why US college admissions won't be primarily about academic ability anytime soon. It's a money game, and it's about greed. Financial greed at the college and status greed among the parents. I say this as someone who's seen this process. It's gross.

It's also playing a role in the deterioration of standards at US colleges.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Val
    How many valedictorians got rejected in favor of this young woman and her 1190 on the SAT?
    That's easy. One, at most.

Is it unfair? Sure it is. But these days $1M only gets you consideration into lowly Brown. Duke might well be higher than that now, and the prices go up exponentially as school selectivity increases. Because the price is now so high, in the grand scheme of things, there aren't that many rich people that can buy their admission that it has a major effect. At most schools, the number of development cases is certainly less than the number of recruited athletes.

I live in a Boston suburb. I know plenty of families not in the top 1% whose kids got into Harvard and MIT on merit. Our high school sends between 5-10 kids to those schools each year (almost all non-legacy), and the activities my kids participate in expose us to many more such families outside of our town. On the flip side, I also know a 0.1% family with a double Harvard/Radcliffe legacy that has donated continuously to Harvard, and yet their kids didn't get in.

We face the college application gauntlet next year. I am confident that my daughter will get into a good school that will prepare her well for her future. But I don't have the foggiest idea which college it will be, and I am really not that stressed about it (yet anyway).

Last edited by mithawk; 01/27/16 06:37 PM.
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM