Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    jane7 #226907 01/21/16 08:53 AM
    C
    C
    Question re: EXPLORE admission (DS is registered for Feb., we don't have the packet yet). At younger ages, do they just require the admission ticket or do we need to figure out how to get him ID? (That's assuming his passport, now two or three years old, doesn't look enough like him to work.) I was really surprised by what is not accepted for photo ID. His school doesn't have official ID cards, and the list says that the Childfind IDs we get with school photos are NOT acceptable.

jane7 #226909 01/21/16 09:24 AM
    M
    M
    I doubt you will need ID. We didn't have it for EXPLORE.
    We didn't have it for the ACT.

OTOH: It would be a shame to get there and they would not let you take the test because you didn't bring ID.

Last edited by mecreature; 01/21/16 10:44 AM.
    jane7 #226914 01/21/16 10:49 AM
    L
    L
    It just says 'bring this admission ticket' on ours, no mention of ID. Ticket, calculator, pencils, watch, and optional snack. That's the complete list. :-) It's a full sheet of paper and says 'Admit One' along the side. My kids don't have IDs at all for school or otherwise.

My question is whether a decades-old basic Casio scientific calculator is sufficient, as it won't be on any lists, prohibited or not. Ha.

longcut #226916 01/21/16 11:58 AM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by longcut
    My question is whether a decades-old basic Casio scientific calculator is sufficient, as it won't be on any lists, prohibited or not. Ha.

Let me know, because that's what we have, too! (circa... um, 1988?). He was so surprised to learn he could take one with him.

jane7 #226918 01/21/16 01:06 PM
    L
    L
    DD took it in 3rd grade through a talent search and it was a good experience.

DD had never really used a calculator before, so I was a bit afraid that she would be sidetracked playing with it (she was 8). She did very well, however, so I guess it was ok. wink

Like others have said, it is my understanding that scores are not retained.

We did not need an ID, btw, just the test ticket.

Best of luck!

Loy58 #226922 01/21/16 01:35 PM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    DD took it in 3rd grade through a talent search and it was a good experience.

DD had never really used a calculator before, so I was a bit afraid that she would be sidetracked playing with it (she was 8). She did very well, however, so I guess it was ok. wink

Like others have said, it is my understanding that scores are not retained.

We did not need an ID, btw, just the test ticket.

Best of luck!

I'm more than a little worried about the fun factor of the calculator. He's 9 and not using one for math class. Definitely will have him practice the sample questions with it nearby... we have already talked about using it to check work, vs. do the work.

Thanks for the info!

jane7 #226923 01/21/16 01:47 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Not the same test, of course, but our #1 took a calculator into the SATs, as directed, and said it wasn't really necessary. I would definitely practice with it for the sample questions, and see whether it's actually needed.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    jane7 #226927 01/21/16 03:52 PM
    According to my DD it wasn't needed - calculator that is.

Become what you are
    jane7 #227079 01/25/16 10:15 PM
    L
    L
    Thought I'd mention that my DS did use his calculator a couple of times, to do some three-digit multiplication faster than by hand. Also, he enjoyed the test, thought it was fun. :-)

jane7 #227088 01/26/16 08:40 AM
    J
    J
    DD took EXPLORE recently & I forgot to ask if she used her calculator, so I'll try to remember to ask & post back. She's familiar w/her calculator because of Mathletics.

Overall, DD thought test was not too bad, though Science was hardest section for her. However, I am *so* glad she took EXPLORE - because she encountered a variety of wacky situations that will stay with her, and better prepare her for the experiences that happen w/virtually every test of this kind.

For example: Proctors arrived & school was locked. By the time they hunted down help, most students/parents had arrived & everybody was standing out in the freezing cold for some time. Sooo...

Test started late. Building was very cold (janitors didn't know about test, didn't turn up heat). Classroom doors were locked, even when building was finally opened. Parents weren't allowed beyond entry, so all instructions I gave to DD about "find bathroom, use bathroom before test, don't sit in wobbly chair or under vent, etc." she had to do those on her own without a parent around. During break, students & Proctor left testing room & door locked behind them! I could go on & on...

But it was *great* because DD saw all this & learned from it. She was espc. glad I had her wear a light jacket under her winter coat, because many students had to take the test wearing coats, but DD was able to take off her coat & just wear her jacket. If the student is better prepared for all the random things that can happen during a test like this, they are better prepared to go with the flow during an actual PSAT, SAT or ACT.

We had a few chuckles over the experience, and it's now behind her. She agreed it was worth her time & effort. Not sure how good results will be, but she definitely learned from taking the test!

Last edited by Jewel; 01/26/16 08:42 AM.
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM