Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    U
    U
    According to this administrator, most HG/PG girls learn to manage their behavior well in any classroom setting (early maturity?) and read a lot to compensate for the lack of challenging education and have much more self-control in the typical classroom. She said that many parents of gifted girls realize that their child needed more challenges much later because they do not exhibit unhappiness about the school situation often.

I also think this is true. The interesting part for me is that I have a male child who is obviously gifted but not disruptive (good at self-directed work) and teachers have been very quick to notice and enrich him. (He is not quiet with his abilities but will not dominate, either.) There have been comments about how he's not "like" other bright boys. I think he has gotten a lot of advantages due to being both male and having a well-developed superego.

Q
    Q
    I would say definitely not. The distribution in our GT program (more high ability than true GT) is not noticeably lop-sided although I have not had my children definitively count the number of boys versus girls. In the school setting through middle school, I actually think more girls tend to stand out as high achievers. However, when you narrow the area of giftedness to math, then there are more boys who "achieve" at the extreme right tail at least partly because more of them participate. DS' math coach who actually has hundreds of students this year including a few that are nationally competitive did mention to me that female participation decline in middle school for students in brick & mortar schools but not homeschoolers.

I am not sure how extreme your DD's abilities are so my experiences may not apply. I can't fathom your bimbo comment at all as I know many many of DS/DD's female schoolmates are not bimbo-like in the least, even if statistically only about 10 of them are gifted in the top 2% sense of the word. Perhaps the problem lies partly in your environment? I would venture to guess that you are in a rural district or a tiny district or one focused on sports? The other issue may be that your DD is not as gifted in the verbal areas, which is where a higher percentage of GT girls tend to focus their efforts? I don't have any real advice other than pursue extra-curricular activities (not just math) beyond the school level. It seems that high ability girls can be found at high level (county/state/national) band/orchestra/clubs/competition activities.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM