Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 170 guests, and 44 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Can2K
    Anxiety is quite often irrational, and therefore you will not be able to predict everything that triggers it. I have often been floored at things I thought innocuous that caused an anxious reaction in my kids. And conversely, things I found bothersome or scary had little to no effect on my kids.

Exactly this! What scares me makes my son laugh out loud and what is normally considered acceptable might scare him to the point of tears and panic attacks (a family friendly Disney movie, an age appropriate biography of a famous President and many other things).

In our case, I found that it was best to protect my son from those triggers and eventually, in a year or two, he has been able to handle the same content with as much rationality and calmness as a normal child who might be 2-3 years younger than him. In our case, I am chalking it up to asynchronous development.

So, don't worry, I think that there was no way that you could have known that your DS would respond like that to the exhibit.

Last edited by ashley; 11/09/15 10:04 AM.
    M
    M
    I agree with everyone that this wasn't your fault and your child won't be damaged for life! It's sometimes impossible to know what will upset a child who is sensitive. My earliest exposure to this with dd12 was when she was 14 months old and I was reading Winnie the Pooh to her. On the page where Pooh falls to the ground after the infamous balloon pops, dd would immediately grab the book out of my hands and turn it upside down so that Pooh was no longer falling down. I still chuckle about it, but now she is reading lots of dark fantasy and doesn't seem the least bit scared.

P
    P
    Anxiety is quite often irrational, and therefore you will not be able to predict everything that triggers it.

I've noticed this with my children too - and even had it pointed out by one of my sports-oriented children's coach - who had learned about anxiety in athletes when studying in school.

I will second what everyone else has said - it's not your fault. I also agree with this:

So trying to screen your DS from everything will generally not be useful - unless you know there are things that trigger a reaction. Even for things which are known to trigger anxiety - you will likely want to expose your kids in small doses so that they see they will eventually be OK.

Best wishes,

polarbear

maisey Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you to everyone.

I have read each reply and I am so grateful for all the advice and support. I had my own anxiety issues to deal with from this. But reading the replies helped me get over it.

Last night was again a rough one. I am putting many of the ideas and suggestions into place for tonights bedtime.

I will update the thread and let everyone know how bedtime goes tonight.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM