Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #218509 06/18/15 12:00 AM
    R
    renan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Anybody out there have good (recent) experiences to share on elementary schools out here in AZ? We are in Chandler and looking at starting Kindergarten at Knox (a self contained gifted academy) or Great Hearts - either Archway Chandler or Archway Lincoln. Bright Beginnings is a possibility too. Each has something to like, and a mash up of all would be ideal :) Anyone have experiences with EG or similar kids at any of these, or others we should look at?? (I did research the forums but not a lot from AZ, and much is older - things change so quickly here!) Thanks in advance for sharing!

J
    J
    Hi there! I know this thread is a little old, but wondered what you decided to do? Which school have you chosen?

We are also located in Arizona, but we are in the Phoenix area. We recently moved from Glendale where my kids were getting gifted differentiation in the classrooms, but when we moved to the new district we learned about a special Gifted Program called MAP in the Local elementary school (Flex in the middle school) and now all 3 of my children are in the program. We've only just started this year, so I don't have much knowledge of how well it will go, but the kids are all excited about their new schools.

In elementary, I have a 2nd and a 5th grader, the classes are grouped together K-2, 3-4, and 5-6 with students able to move within the gifted rooms for more advanced differentiation if needed. (Or so I've been told) We had actually discussed the possibility of skipping 2nd grade for my son because he was so bored in class, the thought of doing 3rd grade math really excites him. I've learned that pretty much all the 2nd graders are ready for 3rd grade math, and so they will likely be starting that this year.

My older son is in 8th Grade now and last year in 7th, they chose to advance him in math 2 grades to 9th grade math, so this year he is doing 10th Grade Geometry, along with having advanced science and English classes within the flex program (which he never had at the old school)

I'm looking forward to having a better year for all of them with smaller classrooms & more advanced work to keep them occupied. Especially my little guy, he's a bucket full of energy, and when he get's bored - watch out!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM