Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by aeh
    In my experience, IEP teams have been very happy to accept outside evals in lieu of school-based testing. The schools I've worked in typically add classroom observation, teacher reports, and record review. In my state, the submission of a comprehensive outside eval also starts the clock for a team meeting, just as completion of a school-based eval does, which then must be convened within 10 school days. Your state regs may vary.

There is a whole lot of "teacher data" in the report. Both narrative and results of BRIEF and BASC, maybe some other things--I'm kind of fried and don't remember it all. I don't think any reasonable person could look at what the teachers reported and claim his disability isn't having an effect on his education.

Also, this evaluation was done on recommendation of both program coordinator and program counselor, using a person they recommend. That should help, I think.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    Eco, to echo (ha!) the others: If you request it, they *must* evaluate for an IEP. They also must do their own evaluation, but they can choose to include your external evaluation in place of their own testing.
    I know they have to do something, but the two previous times I asked for evaluation it was turned down based on "record review." As far as I can tell, that just means the process coordinator looked at his grades and test scores and said NO. Maybe I'm missing something.

Both times I asked were in response to teachers telling me there were concerns about DS and both times they already had some outside evidence (psych eval and multiple DSM diagnoses, from two different sources).

I do think having had hell year last year should help. Before, DS seemed to be pretty well-received and the behaviors were all ADHD type things but not seriously problematic, well controlled with medication. He always performed well before and everyone seemed to like him.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    Eco, to echo (ha!) the others: If you request it, they *must* evaluate for an IEP. They also must do their own evaluation, but they can choose to include your external evaluation in place of their own testing.
    I know they have to do something, but the two previous times I asked for evaluation it was turned down based on "record review." As far as I can tell, that just means the process coordinator looked at his grades and test scores and said NO. Maybe I'm missing something.

I would call a parent advocate if you have a group in your state, and review the history of advocating you've been through so far. I'd also submit your written request for an IEP eligibility evaluation. They *can* turn your request down, but the school district should have some type of appeal process in place. Advice from a local advocate was beyond invaluable for us when we were advocating for an IEP. We found our group by looking through the yellowpages at wrightslaw.org

Best wishes,

polarbear

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    I would call a parent advocate if you have a group in your state, and review the history of advocating you've been through so far. I'd also submit your written request for an IEP eligibility evaluation. They *can* turn your request down, but the school district should have some type of appeal process in place. Advice from a local advocate was beyond invaluable for us when we were advocating for an IEP. We found our group by looking through the yellowpages at wrightslaw.org

Best wishes,

polarbear
    I have an advocate through local non-profit. I met with her today and then dragged her to the meeting (that wasn't scheduled). She is really helpful already and didn't even mind my epic scheduling fail. She said when you have a kid like hers (ha!), you learn to take a broader perspective on things like little schedule mess-ups.

I am still kind of in an OMG-did-I-really-do-that space. My brain isn't running on full throttle, evidently.

E
    E
    When you go to your child's 504 meeting, to discuss his non-existent executive function...and find out you wrote down the wrong date.

Splorf!!

At least you arrived too early, instead of too late. Good luck on Monday.

D
    D
    When you go to your child's 504 meeting, to discuss his non-existent executive function...and find out you wrote down the wrong date.

Yes, really.

Eco, oh, my. Love to you and DS, the tree and the apple that didn't fall too far.

G
    G
    The meeting is actually Monday, the 24th.

Yay! More time to digest the report! Fabulous.

wink

Silver linings and all that.

G
    G
    There is a whole lot of "teacher data" in the report. Both narrative and results of BRIEF and BASC, maybe some other things--I'm kind of fried and don't remember it all. I don't think any reasonable person could look at what the teachers reported and claim his disability isn't having an effect on his education.

Also, this evaluation was done on recommendation of both program coordinator and program counselor, using a person they recommend. That should help, I think.

OK, since you now have a bit more time with the data and report, contemplate the following exercise.

Write down each difficulty you see your DS having. Try and make it as concise as possible, like "Difficulty interpreting written directions."
    Next to it, list all the evidence you have for that difficulty. Start with testing, go to teacher data, direct quotes from the neuropsych report, and finish with anecdotal comments starting with teachers then yours (include dates and direct quotes). Move to the next difficulty, and repeat the process.

When I have anecdotal evidence in my list from emails, I keep a printout of the email
    in a separate stack with the date and sender highlighted, organized in date order, so that I can find each one in turn.

I did this to get a math goal in an IEP for a child whose WJ math scores are the highest scores in all of the IQ and WJ testing.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The minimum retest interval is 2 years for cognitive and some neuropsych instruments, and 6 months for achievement and most other assessments, except those specifically designed for progress monitoring.

Believe me, most assessment professionals in the schools are not looking to duplicate outside testing, if they can avoid it. We have enough to do already! 😀

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Splorf!!

At least you arrived too early, instead of too late. Good luck on Monday.
    Thank you, and I agree! I am never late anywhere but this may have been a little overboard. smile
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Eco, oh, my. Love to you and DS, the tree and the apple that didn't fall too far.
    <3

Yes, there is little possibility of a switched-at-birth scenario...
    Yay! More time to digest the report! Fabulous.

wink

Silver linings and all that.
    This was my thought process, absolutely. I wasn't ready for the meeting, still a little hijacked by the new dx. Even though I expected it, it's going to take a little time to process. The advocate was having me practice what I'll say and I was doing a lot of stammering--so this extension is a bonus.
    OK, since you now have a bit more time with the data and report, contemplate the following exercise.

Write down each difficulty you see your DS having. Try and make it as concise as possible, like "Difficulty interpreting written directions."
    Next to it, list all the evidence you have for that difficulty. Start with testing, go to teacher data, direct quotes from the neuropsych report, and finish with anecdotal comments starting with teachers then yours (include dates and direct quotes). Move to the next difficulty, and repeat the process.
    I am going to do this, exactly. One thing I'm still mulling over is whether or not I should bring up some things that aren't exactly my son's struggles, but are about perceptions of/reactions to his more off-putting behaviors. Related to his difficulties but not his per se. I think his teachers were professional in their demeanor toward him last year, with one rather notable exception--that was out of control and abusive. I don't think that will ever happen again, but it's well-documented and I think it makes a good case for having a behavior plan in place.

As an aside: DS told me today that he thinks my email to one of his teachers "backfired" because she spent a good deal of time in class "showing him how to put a piece of paper in a folder." LOL! I told him I think that's great--it sounds like she is trying to support him and that he historically has not demonstrated this ability.

He is NOT amused. He told me it was entirely "patronizing." I asked him what he did--he just sat there saying, okay, okay, okay. I asked if he was embarrassed--nope. But he said that even his buddy agreed with him that it was "patronizing."

This is going to be a long road. smile

I am really trying to see the humor in some of this situation. My sister and I were reading through the NP report today and literally LOL'ing at some of his oddball statements during testing. Or, rather, at what the NP thought were good examples of oddball statements. For us, they all seemed pretty normal, par for the course in our experience (and in our family at-large).

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM