Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Q
    Q
    With the relative severity of their symptoms at such a young age, it would seem that they need their psychological disabilities treated far more than determination of PGness, unless getting that PG label will somehow open doors to getting crucial accommodations that they currently lack. In that case, simply explain that you are trying to get them those crucial accommodations, which are not possible unless they do these additional tests with this particular tester.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thank you all for the feedback!!! The challenge on why we need this information is that our daughters are not getting any accommodations in school. Nothing. But they are reporting challenges in the classroom (with one on a weekly basis) and we want to prove to them that it is simply not that they have ADHD.

Thanks again for the feedback

Is home school an option here? A private tutor? Given their state of anxiety I would forget the skip entirely and pull them both out of school to address the causes of their distress and to help build resilience even if instead of a skip it meant losing a grade.
    Working under the assumption that they are PG then they would catch up and then some in no time once brought back into school.

Just my $0.02 - YMMV

Last edited by madeinuk; 07/09/15 03:46 PM.

Become what you are
    Yeah-- my 0.02, having a kiddo who is in college now, as opposed to be being on the starting side of this journey? A skip-- as in, singular-- is very very unlikely to be worth this much strain on any child who is EG/PG.

ONE will pretty much never be enough in terms of accommodations, and really, this is a lot of stress and strain to put a child through for something so unlikely to do enough.

An unwilling school isn't going to magically "see the light" just because of test results from out of state. Even if you do get some amount of grudging cooperation, they aren't going to see what they don't wish to see, nor are they going to make a good faith effort to do right by your child. IMHO.

I'd invest so much $$ in other ways, I think. But that's me.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Therapy has helped my 2e DS16 with his anxiety. We got help when he was 11/12 and he is now seeing a different person now that he is in High School. The new therapist is someone who specializes in gifted teens, but the first therapist who had no particular experience in gifted kids was still very effective in helping DS. He taught him a number of self regulating techniques that he still uses to this day.

Good Luck.

LAF Offline
    I completely agree with HK on this one… the school is not going to change anything because of private test results. They either get it or they don't. You will be wasting your money if that's the reason you are doing it.

I have friends with PG kids, and you may have to try several different educational models to find one that fits. In some cases, certain models only work for a couple of years until you have to try something else…

Right now I would focus on trying to give them ways of coping with the anxiety.

I
    I
    I agree that the DCs need assistance in alleviating anxiety.

The testing may be helpful for that.
    1) The anxiety may be rooted in (or fueled by) giftedness and an ill-fitting learning environment.
    2) The anxiety may be rooted in (or fueled by) a learning disability or learning difference.

G and/or the 2nd E may be important pieces to understanding and alleviating the DCs' anxiety. IMO, it is crucial to develop a trusting, supportive relationship with a professional who understands and embraces 2e kiddos before it is not possible to reach the DCs and guide their thinking.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Indigo..we are definitely in the wrong educational environment which is one of the issues we are dealing with. Finding a gifted school that gets 2e kids hasn't been easy..

Squishys..yes, when I found out that DYS had made the criteria of IQ or Achievement, I was thrilled. Both have very high IQs but the achievement tests have been average. I am going to submit the applications to DYS, hoping they may help us advocate with the school district.

We did get a referral to a counselor from our ped yesterday. Of course she is scheduling appts 2months from now but its better than nothing. Thanks everyone for all your feedback. I am so glad to have found this forum!

Last edited by Laurie918; 07/10/15 08:37 PM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM