Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #217431 06/01/15 08:43 PM
    OP Offline
    Ok, so I know about Lexile scores and how to interpret them with regard to a kid's reading level, but I just found out that DD has a quantile score too, with respect to her mathematics ability. I am wondering if these work the same as the Lexiles, and if others have experience understanding what this number means. I understand what the number tells me, but don't know what to do with this information, if anything.

Last edited by Julie; 06/04/15 10:49 AM.
    I do with Quantile measures what I do with Lexile measures; ignore them. Quantile measures were developed by the same company as Lexiles. Like Lexiles, they are at best useless and at worst dangerous.

Good writing is precise and concise. To get a high Lexile, a book needs long sentences with long words, so a poorly written book with wordy sentences and overblow vocabulary will get a high Lexile rating. Lexile doesn’t take into account subject matter, theme, use of figurative language, or artistry. Ernest Hemingway’s A Farewell to Arms (730L) and Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse-Five (850L) are in the 4-5 grade band. Toni Morrison’s The Bluest Eye (920L), which includes two graphic rape scenes, and Vonnegut’s Breakfast of Champions (930L) fall into the grade 6-8 band but fall into the grade 4-5 stretch Lexile band many schools are using under Common Core. Judith Viorst’s Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (970L) has a higher Lexile rating than Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass (890L), yet Carroll’s book is far more complex as a literary work.

I don’t know much about Quantile ratings and how they are determined. However, from what I've seen, their Quantile ratings for math texts are as faulty as Lexiles. My DD’s algebra textbook is badly written and contains asinine problems. For example:
    “Suppose you have a job in an ice cream shop that pays $6 per hour. You also have a babysitting job that pays $4 per hour. You want to earn at least $60 per week but would like to work no more than 12 hours per week.
    a. Graph and write a system of inequalities that describes this situation.
    b. Give three possible solutions to the system.”

Quite frankly, if you don’t know immediately that working 10 hours in the ice cream shop earns your minimum income of $60 without exceeding the maximum number of hours you want to work, I don’t want you working in my ice cream shop let alone babysitting my kid. This kind of real world application of math drives me insane. This chapter of the book has a Quantile rating of 1150L which puts it in the Algebra II range. This problem w^2 – 8w = 0 is from chapter 10 which is rated 1200Q, also Algebra II.

The problem with these measures is that an algorithm simply can’t measure the complexity of texts in any usable way. The quality and complexity of a book can only be determined having people actually read the book. An intelligent human being (parent, teacher, tutor) who knows a child well is the best judge of what books (mathematical or literary) are best suited to engage and challenge that particular child.

Last edited by Julie; 06/04/15 10:50 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    It may be helpful to remember that Lexiles and Quantiles were developed primarily to help schools create instructional groupings, and to meet federal criteria for collecting progress monitoring data. They have value in organizing groups, especially for accountability purposes (i.e., was this instructional intervention effective for this group of at-risk students?). The real client is schools, not parents or individual students.

And it's a piece of data, like any other, that is best interpreted through the lens of the whole child.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    OP Offline
    You all confirm what I thought. I was fairly suspicious when I saw that it was a leveling process form the same company that came up with Lexile scores, but I hadn't seen them actually given out before.

Thanks for the info though, it was helpful.

C
    C
    I measure a book in how many minutes/hours/days before I have to return this to the library and find him another book.

Right now my son is working off of a middle school reading list of state award nomination books. Picked up one for him yesterday on hold and he read it in an hour or two. Funny book, he enjoyed it. Not instructional level at all.

Classic books he asks more questions, thinks deeper about the stories and generally is really excited about delving into them and stretching his brain a bit.

The other stuff is fun, like candy... a few with surprise centers like a tootsie pop.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs