Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Pemberley #217207 05/29/15 01:26 PM
    D
    D
    They do give individual feedback to each student, and they ask that you register each student separately.

We got one kid a subscription first, but then jealousy ensued, then we paid for the rest of what we needed. Had to wait for it to go on sale in between, which was aggravating. The regular price is $250.

You can have multiple kids' accounts on the same computer but (oddly) you need different parent email addresses to sign them up.

The Groupon price ($150) is, I think, quite fair. The individual attention via messaging has been outstanding-- questions get answered quickly and cheerfully. This is honestly the most engaging online instruction I've ever seen.

Pemberley #217208 05/29/15 01:36 PM
    L
    L
    What she said. The tutors even dealt with DDs very first attempts at text based communication, without a single word spelled correctly. It's awesome.

Pemberley #217220 05/29/15 06:00 PM
    I was just relieved that webkinz was eclipsed by Minecraft as a go to place for downtime and general 'vegging out'.

I never stopped my DD from Webkinz as it relaxed her but I was ecstatic when that particular phase was over.

Become what you are
    blackcat #218069 06/09/15 11:15 PM
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    I have found that mods are a great bribe. Clean your room, earn a mod. That type of thing.

My kids (ages 8 and 9) have been playing since preschool, are pretty hardcore and very particular, I think they would grumble about a pocket version or console version.

I have a deal with DS8 that he can earn minecraft minutes on my iPad (or minutes watching tutorials) with violin practice minutes. The progress he has made on the violin since is astounding.

He is lobbying hard for the PC version now. I think it might be worth it from what I'm reading here, but it will be definitely time for him to get his own computer.

Tigerle #218079 06/10/15 07:17 AM
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    He is lobbying hard for the PC version now. I think it might be worth it from what I'm reading here, but it will be definitely time for him to get his own computer.

Make it a good one. DD is screaming at her laptop because of lag in Minecraft. DD's friend has it even worse (or did, until recently). As a java app, it's a notorious resource hog. They're continually adding new features, and it was a recent update that pushed her machine past its limits. If your child starts using mods, that'll push performance even further.

Pemberley #218411 06/16/15 05:01 PM
    i guess my dh put together a good pc with our son a few years back because the minecraft maniac at our house, dd9, has not complained. For a few months she was glued to this thing several hours a week, getting her cousins hooked and getting them configured to log into different servers. They enjoyed logging into the same servers together and exploring and building. Dd has gone from knowing zip about computers to seeming to know quite a bit, at least she is extremely confident, command line does not daunt her, nor learning new command syntax. She was recently trying to figure out how to get new 'heads'..apparently there's a command where you can get someone's head on your own head. At one point she even worked in a 'head shop'. I did not tell her the meaning of this irl, she enjoyed helping the original builder of the shop hand out free heads. Weird, but fun. Highly recommend this.
    Oh, also, key for girls -- this is a world where anybody can do anything;
    my dd has built and adventured in this game with great abandon, never once running into a scenario where, because she is a girl, something was not open to her. She mostly feels this way in real life, but every little bit of influence in this direction helps.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM