Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
    M
    M
    Some college look into home equity and others don't:

http://www.thecollegesolution.com/will-your-home-equity-hurt-financial-aid-chances/

I have no idea how accurate the article is but it doesn't contradict what I have been hearing about college financial aid packages.

Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    If you still have a teenager at home, there is still plenty of time to engage in behavior egregious enough to get them tossed into the foster care system.

LOL. That is the best plan so far!

Well, and the nice thing is that this can work even AFTER they enroll in a post-secondary institution if you accelerate them a bit.

Yay! I knew that radical acceleration would pay off handsomely in the end. {/snark} wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    The First-Ever National Survey of College Graduate Outcomes is interesting.

Highlights: What Happened to the College Class of 2014?

More than half of bachelor’s degree graduates were employed full time.

16.4 percent were continuing their education.

Those earning degrees in career-oriented majors were most likely to be employed full time, while graduates in the liberal arts and sciences were most likely to aim for a place in graduate or professional school.

Approximately 14 percent were still seeking employment; nearly 4 percent were still seeking to continue their education.

Overall, the median starting salary was $45,478.

I just posted this June 3rd BBC article "How US students get a university degree for free in Germany (http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32821678?post_id=10204472521873542_10204472521833541#_=_) - on another thread.

I think the BBC gives a good breakdown on the costs for US students. Interesting that most of the classes are in English. Now, I wonder how much the situation is different in Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Argentina, and other places - to Germany.

At the moment, England and Wales have fees for university students; students from Scotland do not pay fees at Scottish universities (I'd move to Scotland in two seconds IF I could or dh could get A job). However, the fees for universities in England and Wales are still considerably cheaper than in the US.

I
    I
    I do like the idea of having an annual report on what recent grads do in their first year post-graduation. However some may say that the initial enthusiasm for the report quickly fades when one reads that approximately 200 programs provided data for the report. Unfortunately, this seems an extraordinarily small, self-selected sample which is highly unlikely to be representative of college/university outcomes as a whole.

The members of the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), the creators of the report, are listed here, and do not appear to be separated by colleges and employers.

I find the concept of knowledge rate, rather than survey response rate, to be fascinating: Research sources may include employers, social media... Cyber-stalking, much?

75west #217761 06/05/15 10:16 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by cdfox
    I just posted this June 3rd BBC article "How US students get a university degree for free in Germany (http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32821678?post_id=10204472521873542_10204472521833541#_=_) - on another thread.

I think the BBC gives a good breakdown on the costs for US students. Interesting that most of the classes are in English. Now, I wonder how much the situation is different in Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Argentina, and other places - to Germany.

At the moment, England and Wales have fees for university students; students from Scotland do not pay fees at Scottish universities (I'd move to Scotland in two seconds IF I could or dh could get A job). However, the fees for universities in England and Wales are still considerably cheaper than in the US.
    It's not as simple for a U.S. student to take advantage of some of these free universities as it seems. A friend of DD's wanted to apply to a school in Finland. Classes would be in English, tuition free but there would still be travel & living costs. But she figured out that to get in she needed to pass an exam where the closest place it was administered was in Europe. She would have needed to fly to Europe to take this exam to hopefully get into a "free" university. Probably would have been cheaper in the long run but it was logistically difficult and she didn't have the money or the time that spring to follow through.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM