Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    In my understanding, the CogAT is an ability test which in my mind would mean the scores should be somewhat stable. My DD11 was tested at age 8, again last spring at age 10 and recently at age 11. For example her Quantitative percentile score jumped from 65%/71% (age/grade percentile rank) to 99%/99% (age/percentile rank). Why would there be such a large change?

A
    A
    Was she in second grade when she took the test at age 8? From kinder to second the test is read aloud to the kids and the format of the questions is different (more picture based). It is also untimed, and kids have to wait after each question for everyone to finish to move onto the next. From third grade on, it is timed and is more word and number based, except for the nonverbal section. Kids read the test themselves and move at their own pace until they finish or run out of time. The link below shows that types of questions that are asked at the different grade levels.

http://www.riversidepublishing.com/products/cogAT7/content.html

My kid took it in first, second and third grade and scores changed dramatically each time.

It could also be a difference in maturity/effort on the part of your child.

Last edited by Appleton; 04/29/15 03:07 PM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    She was in second grade when she first took the test. Perhaps the format change is the reason. It is just frustrating to see this big difference in score as the score at age 8 is what kept her out of the gifted math class for the last 2 1/2 years.

In terms of maturity/effort -- She has always been a serious/mature child when it comes to school work (and in many other things). When it comes to school, she is a kid who gives it her all every time. I don't think that would have been a factor for her, but I suppose it could be.

A
    A
    Oh, that is frustrating! I have mixed feeling about the test - it's not worthless, but it isn't perfect either and it often makes such a big difference in educational opportunities for kids. Will she get to join the gifted math class now?

My son's quantitative scores have been the most consistent 86th (first grade) to 96th (second) to 98th (third). His verbal and non-verbal score both made huge jumps between 2nd and 3rd grade. The verbal doesn't surprise me as much because of the change from pictures to words - he never was very good at interpreting the picture based problems that he had on his language arts problems in second grade. I don't have any explanation for the non verbal jump though, that's the section I would have expected to stay the most similar.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Because of her great teacher this year and her making a case for her to be in the gifted math class, they moved her into it earlier this school year despite the CoGAT scores. (Yeah teacher!!) However she should have been in it all along, and if she had the scores in second grade she has now she would have been without a problem.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs