Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I don't have any professional advice for you. But here is a data point that might give you some comfort:

DS was atypical from Day 1. Intense, curious, etc. All good, except when it wasn't. Preschool teacher said "Aspergers." So we got ann assessment for that. No. But the WPPSI said - "very high IQ." The psychologist recommended we re-test with WISC once DS was 6. In the interim, we got several piecemeal tests from qualified, sincere experts that were totally useless for understanding my son's struggles.

When he was 6.5, we bit the bullet, and did testing with a nationally recognized expert on PG/2e. You can read my early posts on the hand-wringing and second-guessing I did during this process. It ended up taking nearly 3 months, and more than 10 return visits. And each visit required a 90-mile round trip drive. I've never had the courage to add up the total cost. I know it was in excess of anything I've seen here. The time and the cost were both astronomical.

And totally worth it. We finally had a full picture of all that my son was struggling with, and all the amazing strengths underlying his struggles.

To be honest, we've never shared the report and recommendations with the school. But that thing is worth it's weight in gold. It gives me backbone and confidence I never would have had without it. It gave me great insights, great ideas, great suggestions for supports for my son.

It's all still a work in progress. But I now know (a) I wasn't crazy. This really is hard for DS, and for us, his parents; (b) He has amazing abilities, and I know how to support them now; (c) he has some real struggles, and I know how to be more patient about it, and help him past them. And help his teachers with them; and (d) did I mention how much it means to know I'm not crazy? Not a crappy Mom? That his Dad and me AND HIM are all dealing with doe seriously out of the box stuff here?

It was long and expensive and the best thing we ever did. Hope it's the same for you - though less expensive wink

Best,
    Sue

P
    P
    If you can afford it do it. Don't use the rent or food money but anything else is OK.

B
    B
    Finally had DS tested last summer at 15. Wished I had done it earlier. So no I don't think your wasting your money.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by suevv
    I don't have any professional advice for you. But here is a data point that might give you some comfort:

DS was atypical from Day 1. Intense, curious, etc. All good, except when it wasn't. Preschool teacher said "Aspergers." So we got ann assessment for that. No. But the WPPSI said - "very high IQ." The psychologist recommended we re-test with WISC once DS was 6. In the interim, we got several piecemeal tests from qualified, sincere experts that were totally useless for understanding my son's struggles.

When he was 6.5, we bit the bullet, and did testing with a nationally recognized expert on PG/2e. You can read my early posts on the hand-wringing and second-guessing I did during this process. It ended up taking nearly 3 months, and more than 10 return visits. And each visit required a 90-mile round trip drive. I've never had the courage to add up the total cost. I know it was in excess of anything I've seen here. The time and the cost were both astronomical.

And totally worth it. We finally had a full picture of all that my son was struggling with, and all the amazing strengths underlying his struggles.

To be honest, we've never shared the report and recommendations with the school. But that thing is worth it's weight in gold. It gives me backbone and confidence I never would have had without it. It gave me great insights, great ideas, great suggestions for supports for my son.

It's all still a work in progress. But I now know (a) I wasn't crazy. This really is hard for DS, and for us, his parents; (b) He has amazing abilities, and I know how to support them now; (c) he has some real struggles, and I know how to be more patient about it, and help him past them. And help his teachers with them; and (d) did I mention how much it means to know I'm not crazy? Not a crappy Mom? That his Dad and me AND HIM are all dealing with doe seriously out of the box stuff here?

It was long and expensive and the best thing we ever did. Hope it's the same for you - though less expensive wink

Best,
    Sue

Wow Sue thank you for sharing. I am glad you were able to understand and support your child better due to testing. That is my goal. I don't think dd is that complex...but you are for sure helping me see the value in finally biting the bullet!

C
    C
    Originally Posted by suevv
    This....times a million. I always knew my DS was a bit out there in a few ways but testing helped highlight his strengths and differences and realize just how far out there he is. It also added to our confidence in advocacy. Best of luck!

D
    OP Offline
    D
    So dd met the psych today and spent 1 1/2 hours playing with Legos and drawing pictures. I tried to eavesdrop but the stupid white noise machine made it impossible. Testing is tomorrow. I am thinking I am crazy and should probably be spending the money on a trauma-informed therapist who specializes in adoption/loss related issues. I need to be the one on the couch. Almost started crying yesterday during parent intake because it has been really hard, ya'll. with this kid, emotionally intense HG older dd, and DS with developmental disabilities. Anyway, wish us luck tomorrow that dd will be cooperative. At least we will get some questions answered and it should shed some light on which direction to proceed.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Become what you are
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.
    Thank you!

I hated those white noise machines....

Warm thoughts are with you deacongirl. She'll do her best! Let us know how it goes.

Sue

D
    OP Offline
    D
    She forgot to turn on the white noise machine! smile

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)