Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    I'm for Poopps. Poor overburdened offspring of pushy parents.
    Some may say this exemplifies a hater's view: basically that gifted kids do not exist, only hot-housed trophy kids of vanity-parenting tiger moms.

Additionally, this acronym sounds like excrement, generally considered a biohazard, a stinky substance to be avoided... in a word, negative.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Portia
    The haters are going to hate no matter what you call the kids.
    Educators don't "hate" gifted children. They just don't think challenging them is a high priority. There is no law at the federal level and few laws at the state level making it so.

D
    D

Ha! That is funny!

T
    T
    I've met some, when I was a child. Luckily, none of mine have encountered one of these so far.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Some may say this exemplifies a hater's view: basically that gifted kids do not exist, only hot-housed trophy kids of vanity-parenting tiger moms.

Hhtkovptm...sorry, doesn't work.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Some may say that "haters" of gifted kids do exist. They may be teachers, but certainly not all teachers. The "haters" may also be relatives, other kids, and even jealous parents.

While individual motivations may vary greatly, the "haters" are those who find the "gifted" kids inconvenient and try to wish them away, possibly ignoring their obvious skills and abilities, undermining, marginalizing, ostracizing, isolating, discouraging, insulting, and/or accusing them of being elitist, privileged, overly invested in, etc.

There has been a hope that the "haters" might become more open-minded and accepting by others raising awareness, illuminating, and demonstrating understanding of the needs of gifted kids. Recent decades have seen some significant works (books, organizations, camps, advances in testing & identification, psychology & neurology, and a plethora of homeschooling supports), yet the field of education has seemed especially resistant to acknowledge that innately gifted kids exist, have unique educational needs, and a right to curriculum and pacing at their appropriate level, in the company of intellectual peers.

C
    C
    CHIPS and SALSA, eh? You know, this is starting to sound like a FIESTA: Fun Intellectually-appropriate Educational Services Through Action.

(I was seriously contemplating adding an erroneous H or E to the end of FIESTA to make Fun Intellectually-appropriate Educational Services That Actually Happen/Exist...but that would be going to far, I think. wink )

Last edited by Marnie; 04/17/15 07:47 AM.
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    CHIPS and SALSA, eh? You know, this is starting to sound like a FIESTA: Fun Intellectually-appropriate Educational Services Through Action.
    smile laugh grin

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by Portia
    The haters are going to hate no matter what you call the kids.
    Educators don't "hate" gifted children. They just don't think challenging them is a high priority.

ITA. "Hate" is a strong word to use - and not one I'd use for any of the many people I know who are teachers, regardless of their views on gifted education. 99.99% of all the teachers I've ever met and gotten to know past a superficial "hello" are teaching because they genuinely care about children.

And fwiw, like Val, the first thing I thought of when "CHIPs" was mentioned was the tv show!

polarbear

The first words that I think when I see the word chips are 'fish', 'salt', 'malt vinegar' or 'curry sauce' LOL

Become what you are
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM