Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 95 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    Mahagogo5 - she does sew, and lately has been doing a lot of that again. As far as knitting goes - I'd need to find someone to teach her, I have tried for years to learn and am a complete failure at it.

Cookie - I like the idea of the mosaic table - she loves patterns and colors, I will have to start looking for a table.

L
    L
    What about pottery? We got dd a battery operated pottery wheel from Michaels last Christmas and the whole family loves it. Caution: it is messy and the batteries are expensive and don't last long. But there is something about having muddy hands that is so therapeutic.
    Some other ideas: quilling, paper mâché, build your own computer( dh and dd are planning to do this over summer).

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    As far as knitting goes - I'd need to find someone to teach her
    It can be easy or difficult to teach knitting, and that may largely depend upon whether the teacher and learner may tend to naturally favor the same manner of knitting. For example:

- There are many ways to cast on stitches, and different individuals may take to some methods more easily than others.

- When forming knit stitches, there are variations of two basic motions - "throwing" and "picking". Each variation has it's own name. Very simply put, the differences boil down to the division of labor between the two hands. "Throwing" variations involve wrapping (or throwing) the yarn over the needle to form a loop, while "picking" variations involve using the tip of the needle to hook (or pick) the yarn to form a loop.

- When learning how to knit, it can be very helpful to learn the vocabulary for the different methods of casting on and forming knit stitches. There are many "right" ways to knit. Being acquainted with a few of the different methods can help discuss differences rather than thinking "I/you knit funny" or "I/you knit wrong".

Have you seen the vast number of free how-to-knit videos on youtube?

Here is a link to a thread with a theme similar to suggestions for a builder: Protyping supplies...

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    Mahagogo5 - she does sew, and lately has been doing a lot of that again. As far as knitting goes - I'd need to find someone to teach her, I have tried for years to learn and am a complete failure at it.

Crochet is much easier (most of the coordination and action is in just one hand), and there's a nice Klutz book. http://www.amazon.com/Crochet-Learn-Great-Projects-Klutz/dp/1570548706

For building: Since he was 4, I've been taking DS to Home Depot and buying (1) scrap lumber from the cutting area, (2) odd ends of PVC pipe and other pipe and tubing scraps from that cutting area, and (3) "oops" cans of paint (color not quite right). All of these can be had for pennies, sometimes for free. I also give DS all the glue/nails/screws/sandpaper he wants. I also let him use our power drill as long as the bit is at least 3/8-inch (really hard to hurt himself), and, with supervision, I let him use a very small power saw that a really cool Home Depot worker helped us pick out (less than $25). I also have a large tarp and let him paint his projects when he thinks they are ready.

He always wears safety glasses. I do the best I can to give minimal to no guidance on his building projects. Some strange and wonderful things have resulted, all of which he loves much more than any kit project I ever imposed on him.

Our neighbors think we are insane.

Have fun with your cool kid!
    Sue

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs