Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Ace #21226 07/25/08 05:52 AM
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Oh, ha, Alison-- I thought you asked how much, not which one!

There are a few gifted schools in the suburbs; KG will be at Science and Arts Academy.

Mia
    Mia #21232 07/25/08 07:23 AM
    Mia-

I have to hand it to you- at 26 I wasn't married or a parent, and I don't think I would have had the wisdom to seek out accommodations and network with other GT parents the way you do. I've always been a bit of a late bloomer.

Nice to hear that DS is enjoying books, and I have fond memories of one of my boys reading AG books at six. They're fine for boys, but after a certain age, the boys seem too self conscious to read them.

Dazed&Confuzed #21241 07/25/08 08:32 AM
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    I have to hand it to you- at 26 I wasn't married or a parent, and I don't think I would have had the wisdom to seek out accommodations and network with other GT parents the way you do. I've always been a bit of a late bloomer.

Ha, Lorel -- don't get me wrong, it wasn't exactly in my life plan to be a 26yo mother of a highly gifted 6yo!

And it took me a looong time to see him for what he was; I honestly thought that the 3yo self-taught reading was a product of MG/HG parents and a supportive environment! I didn't really start to seriously look at the giftedness until he was 4.5 and reading Captain Underpants to himself. smile

And even then, I didn't give public K a second thought -- it didn't occur to me how *far* advanced he was, and what a problem it might be. We talked briefly about having him start in first last year (which probably would have been ideal) but the school wasn't having it ... so we just went with K.

So yeah, it took me a long time to get to this point. But when I start to look into something -- well, I look into it. A lot. I'm so glad to have found the support I have found online; I would be pretty lost and hopeless without it! So, thanks. smile Even if my advocacy efforts came to nothing with his public school, at least I knew what could (and with his personality, likely *would*) happen if we didn't get him out of there.

Dottie -- KG's fascinated with gas prices! He says he's invented a car that uses less gas, and goes faster, with fewer horse power. I've yet to see concrete plans -- but we could be millionaires! laugh

Kriston -- With DYS ... since the second round of testing didn't, um, take, it does come down to the portfolio for now, and once again, I just don't know what to send in! No idea. I feel like if I send worksheets, they'll wonder if I coached him. Same with most video. Not sure what to do on that front.

Dazed -- Yeah, I'm pretty lucky he's an only child -- there'd be no way we could afford that tuition for two. I honestly have no idea what we'd do if there were more KGs ... chug away at the school, I guess, and hope to goodness we could change their ways. smile At least we'd be able to help other kids in the same situation, then ... there are more than a few kids at KG's public school who could benefit from a better gifted program and/or acceleration.

'Neato -- off to read!

Again, thanks to all for the warm welcome back!

Last edited by Mia; 07/25/08 11:28 AM.

Mia
    Mia #21242 07/25/08 08:34 AM
    Thanks for updating us on KG. I was wondering if you were going to attempt the WISC-V with him. Sorry it didn't turn out to be a better testing experience. I hope this new school is a great fit for him.

Crisc
    crisc #21244 07/25/08 08:40 AM
    Hey! Crisc! Good to see you, too!

Wow! All my buddies are back. Love that! smile

Kriston
    Mia #21265 07/25/08 10:45 AM
    Originally Posted by Mia
    He'd been boycotting chapter books while in kindergarten, but this summer he's back on a reading rampage --

cool

Love that phrase!

Mia #21273 07/25/08 11:21 AM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Mia
    Oh, ha, Alison-- I thought you asked how much, not which one!

There are a few gifted schools in the suburbs; KG will be at Science and Arts Academy.

I checked the website. It looks like a great school. Good luck!

Val

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM