Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Mia Update! - 07/24/08 11:30 PM
So I snuck in on the other thread ... blush It's been wild around here, and I haven't had *any* time for *any* of my boards! So here's a quick update on me and my ds6.

First of all, the reason I'm not around as much is because I got a new job -- that's *not* night shift! It's great to be on a normal schedule again. I'm an RN, and I'm not in the hospital anymore, which is a huge relief to me -- it was very stressful (I was on an acute cardiac care unit). So anyway, that means I'm neither at home during the day nor on the computer while patients are sleeping at night ... so a lot less posting time. But overall, that's a really good thing!

And the interesting stuff -- ds6, who I've started referring to as the Kindergamer, aka KG, on my other board (and I think I started here last time I checked in, too). For those that don't know us, KG is at least EG as tested on the WPPS-III and the WIAT. I tried to take him to do a WISC early in the summer, but he was *not* having it, and the tester stopped after two subtests and suggested we reschedule. smirk

Anyway, KG was in kindergarten at the local public school last year, and despite our best efforts to get some sort of differentiation for him, they weren't having it -- they rigged his IOWA Acceleration Scale and filled it out without parental involvement, they withheld his standardized test scores that would have placed him solidly in their GT first grade math program until it was too late to do anything, etc. It was frustrating for us and no good for KG.

So ... this fall he'll be at a private gifted school near us! They, erm, bumped him up the wait list after seeing his test scores and having him for a day-long visit, and we got the financial aid we needed, so that's where he'll be. I'm really excited about this place and hope it's a good fit. Good lourd -- for the tuition, it'd friggen better be! cry

He'd been boycotting chapter books while in kindergarten, but this summer he's back on a reading rampage -- he's enjoying Ramona books, and read all 6 Kirsten American Girl books in one sitting (we were in the car for a two-hour road trip, and yes, he really did read them!). He loves Magic Treehouse, but I bought him High Tide in Hawaii and he was done with it 30 minutes later, so I think we need to move up the challenge level!

Mathwise, he's really on a roll -- we were driving the other day, and he was asking how much gas our cars can hold. We told him that the Rabbit holds 14 gallons, the Mini holds 13 gallons, and the new Mini will hold 13.2 gallons. He thought about that for a second, and said, "That's 13 and one fifth, right?" I seriously had no idea he could do conversions like that, so it was pretty cool. When he was younger I thought his strength was verbal, but the older he gets, the mathier he appears.

He was turned down at Davidson when we applied in December, and I was hoping for good results on the WISC, but I'm considering applying with portfolio method this fall (they said we could do that, given that his WPPSI scores were *soo* close). Maybe. They might help a bit with the crazy tuition! I have a few new videos, and I may have him do some math worksheets ... but how do they know he hasn't been coached? Do they just take you at your word?

Anyway, that's it from us! I'm going to have to read up on everything that's gone on! And I can't promise to be around more ... but I'm trying! cool
Posted By: delbows Re: Update! - 07/25/08 12:24 AM
Given the tuition, I'm glad for you that the new school is close to home! Best wishes and thanks for the update.
Posted By: Ace Re: Update! - 07/25/08 01:02 AM
What is the private gifted school in Chicago- if you don't mind me asking>
Posted By: LMom Re: Update! - 07/25/08 01:46 AM
Hi Mia, good to see you back. It sounds like things are looking up for your son if not for your finances wink

What a bummer about the testing. Perhaps after a few months in the new school he will be more open to showing up what he can do.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Update! - 07/25/08 03:08 AM
Congrats on the new job, and I'm glad you're happier in it!

You know I'm waiting to hear how school goes for KG, and of course I'm still pulling like mad for DYS for him.

Anyway, thanks for the update, and please do stay in touch. I miss you! smile
Posted By: Mia Re: Update! - 07/25/08 03:21 AM
$15k. And that's the cheaper, closer one. One of the benefits of being a younger parent (I'm 26) -- I don't feel guilty asking my parents for help. wink

Thanks for the well-wishes. I appreciate it!
Posted By: incogneato Re: Update! - 07/25/08 03:38 AM
Hi Mia!

All sounds good! Hooray, it's all working out!!!

Sent you a p.m.
Posted By: acs Re: Update! - 07/25/08 06:07 AM
Welcome back and congrats on the day shift job and (fingers crossed) finding a school where KG can thrive!
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Update! - 07/25/08 11:35 AM
Oh wow to be 26 again! The school I looked at for DS8 is $24,000K/year. Ain't gonna happen w/ another kiddo going into K.
Posted By: questions Re: Update! - 07/25/08 12:07 PM
Mia, So glad to hear good news about you and KG!
Posted By: Mia Re: Update! - 07/25/08 12:52 PM
Oh, ha, Alison-- I thought you asked how much, not which one!

There are a few gifted schools in the suburbs; KG will be at Science and Arts Academy.

Posted By: Lorel Re: Update! - 07/25/08 02:23 PM
Mia-

I have to hand it to you- at 26 I wasn't married or a parent, and I don't think I would have had the wisdom to seek out accommodations and network with other GT parents the way you do. I've always been a bit of a late bloomer.

Nice to hear that DS is enjoying books, and I have fond memories of one of my boys reading AG books at six. They're fine for boys, but after a certain age, the boys seem too self conscious to read them.
Posted By: Mia Re: Update! - 07/25/08 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Lorel
I have to hand it to you- at 26 I wasn't married or a parent, and I don't think I would have had the wisdom to seek out accommodations and network with other GT parents the way you do. I've always been a bit of a late bloomer.

Ha, Lorel -- don't get me wrong, it wasn't exactly in my life plan to be a 26yo mother of a highly gifted 6yo!

And it took me a looong time to see him for what he was; I honestly thought that the 3yo self-taught reading was a product of MG/HG parents and a supportive environment! I didn't really start to seriously look at the giftedness until he was 4.5 and reading Captain Underpants to himself. smile

And even then, I didn't give public K a second thought -- it didn't occur to me how *far* advanced he was, and what a problem it might be. We talked briefly about having him start in first last year (which probably would have been ideal) but the school wasn't having it ... so we just went with K.

So yeah, it took me a long time to get to this point. But when I start to look into something -- well, I look into it. A lot. I'm so glad to have found the support I have found online; I would be pretty lost and hopeless without it! So, thanks. smile Even if my advocacy efforts came to nothing with his public school, at least I knew what could (and with his personality, likely *would*) happen if we didn't get him out of there.

Dottie -- KG's fascinated with gas prices! He says he's invented a car that uses less gas, and goes faster, with fewer horse power. I've yet to see concrete plans -- but we could be millionaires! laugh

Kriston -- With DYS ... since the second round of testing didn't, um, take, it does come down to the portfolio for now, and once again, I just don't know what to send in! No idea. I feel like if I send worksheets, they'll wonder if I coached him. Same with most video. Not sure what to do on that front.

Dazed -- Yeah, I'm pretty lucky he's an only child -- there'd be no way we could afford that tuition for two. I honestly have no idea what we'd do if there were more KGs ... chug away at the school, I guess, and hope to goodness we could change their ways. smile At least we'd be able to help other kids in the same situation, then ... there are more than a few kids at KG's public school who could benefit from a better gifted program and/or acceleration.

'Neato -- off to read!

Again, thanks to all for the warm welcome back!
Posted By: crisc Re: Update! - 07/25/08 03:34 PM
Thanks for updating us on KG. I was wondering if you were going to attempt the WISC-V with him. Sorry it didn't turn out to be a better testing experience. I hope this new school is a great fit for him.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Update! - 07/25/08 03:40 PM
Hey! Crisc! Good to see you, too!

Wow! All my buddies are back. Love that! smile
Posted By: Austin Re: Update! - 07/25/08 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Mia
He'd been boycotting chapter books while in kindergarten, but this summer he's back on a reading rampage --

cool

Love that phrase!
Posted By: Val Re: Update! - 07/25/08 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Mia
Oh, ha, Alison-- I thought you asked how much, not which one!

There are a few gifted schools in the suburbs; KG will be at Science and Arts Academy.

I checked the website. It looks like a great school. Good luck!

Val
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum