Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Still not certain that our DS (turning two in March) is gifted, but since he read his first word this week, I'm beginning to think it's sealed...

DH is a year away from his PhD in economics--has never had an IQ test that I'm aware of, but he's got to be at least moderately gifted to get where he is. He also has uncles and cousins who have engineering degrees. He has at least one cousin on the autism spectrum.

I've never been tested either, but I'd guess I'm roughly around 120-130 range. After my telling my parents about my toddler's abilities recently, they started telling me stories I'd never heard before about how my brother knew the alphabet backwards at 2 and how I myself read "early." I am now a proofreader/editor.

DS definitely takes after me in interests and I think he gets the intensity from his father. DH suspects he himself has dyslexia, but DS and I have the opposite ... hyperlexia? At 18 months old DS was picking up smooth stones and telling me "zero" and "D" as he handed me one rock that was oblong and another that was flat on one end and round on the other. The kid sees letters in EVERYTHING.

B
    B
    According to my mother, I was the highest score the tester had ever seen at the school (I generally regard this as a myth lol). She tells me 'the number' was 165, but I have no idea what test this would be. It would be most likely around 89/90 - so whatever was popular then, I assume. Honestly, for a long time I never gave it any thought. It wasn't until we had our daughter and she was clearly advanced that I begin to do research. And then I started talking to my mother about it more and I feel through the research I've done for my daughter, I've learned a lot more about myself as well. I definitely don't always feel "smart". I put an extreme amount of pressure on myself. But, I recognize so many of the gifted traits in myself and my daughter. I don't know for sure where I actually fall in the scale, and I don't really care too much. It won't make any difference in my current life. My mother is highly intelligent, as was her father.

My husband, I believe is very likely gifted as well, but I can't say where I feel he falls either.

Z - 01/23/11 and O - 05/12/13
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM