Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    When I recently talked to the teacher though, she was incredibly focused on the importance of exposure to all of the grade-level standards and the fact that DS occasionally has made a computation error (and he is already a budding perfectionist - ugh!). I'd hope she reads and understands these new scores, but I'm afraid she might just look at the 99% again and set them aside.

Yep, this is basically what we're getting as well from the teachers. The teacher told me that DS doesn't know how to do a proof theorem with sticks and circles. She said "I bet XXXX (first grade teacher last year) didn't teach him sticks and circles!" I said "No probably not, because he learned place value a long time ago, like in preschool." I think his second grade teacher is actually a bit annoyed that the first grade teacher taught him advanced concepts and not the regular first grade curriculum. I told her that DS already passed the district test for second grade math, which the first grade teacher gave him last spring (he was 99 percent accurate out of 140+ questions!), so she shouldn't need to bother with any of the second grade curriculum, and she said "You keep bringing up that district test, but I was involved in writing that and it doesn't test EVERY SINGLE STANDARD. Those standards might be on the state test!" So basically the teacher was wasting so much class time trying to find the 2 percent or whatever that DS may not have been exposed to, while giving him "logic sheets" maybe once a week when it became too painfully clear that the work was too easy. I put my foot down and the principal, IEP manager, and other district admin got involved, and now he's being sent out of class to work independently but it's obviously still a ridiculous situation.

L
    L
    blackcat- that is frustrating.

I can sympathize with the teachers feeling the pressure to make certain their students meets, standards, too - I really can...to a point. While I am patiently trying to explain that they really do not have this concern with DS, however, he is dissolving into a puddle. frown

Last edited by Loy58; 01/13/15 11:15 AM.
    This is an area where educators and administrators may truly be operating at cross-purposes from parents. As a parent I would prefer that there were topics on standardized tests that my daughter felt she "had no clue about" and the earlier in her life, the better.

That is, I would have WANTED her K-3 state tests to have a few topics that she DID NOT know inside and out-- because it might have sent the message that she isn't supposed to "already know" what she encounters in any testing situation.

Yet another way to reinforce perfectionism. Now, teachers and administrators want perfect (or near-to-perfect) scores, not situations that promote growth mindset. I get it, and I understand why they must act in that manner. But it's really bad for gifted learners.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    You have to wonder what she thought she was doing as part of the district test development team, if it wasn't designed to be reflective of the standards assessed on the state test. I mean, isn't the whole idea that the 2nd grade district test will be predictive of performance on the state test? If anything, it ought to have wider coverage than the state test, as the state curriculum standards are supposed to be the -minimum- that each district covers in instruction.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    This is an area where educators and administrators may truly be operating at cross-purposes from parents. As a parent I would prefer that there were topics on standardized tests that my daughter felt she "had no clue about" and the earlier in her life, the better.

That is, I would have WANTED her K-3 state tests to have a few topics that she DID NOT know inside and out-- because it might have sent the message that she isn't supposed to "already know" what she encounters in any testing situation.

Yet another way to reinforce perfectionism. Now, teachers and administrators want perfect (or near-to-perfect) scores, not situations that promote growth mindset. I get it, and I understand why they must act in that manner. But it's really bad for gifted learners.

Yes! Maybe include a smattering of a few 1-3 grades above level questions on each topic, that aren't included in the composite score for state testing, but which serve as a basic screen for giftedness and have the dual purpose of deterring perfectionism. It would be cheap and easy to implement. The efficiency and effectiveness of my proposal is probably why it hasn't been implemented; the same agency probably produces the battery of other tools, and a consolidated test would eat into margins.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    T...Of course, I tried to cheerlead him, "Of course you are, honey! And you will see all of your friends."...

I so sympathize with you and remember this sort of thing from DD's earlier years.

I have to say though that lying to our DD never helped. She knew she wasn't learning anything and just got annoyed that we didn't believe her - when we were just trying to boost her spirits. Just like when we said things like "the teacher is trying her hardest and wants what's best" she knew that was a lie too and that, in fact, the teacher found her annoying and wanted her to shut up and get all 100% if she was so smart.

Why not just lay it out "OK, I appreciate that you aren't really learning anything and that it sucks... let's brainstorm ideas to make you feel better." Even if you can't do everything you come up with (because of external constraints of the school or whatever) you are at least transferring the locus of control onto you and your DS and away from the teacher.

Teachers hate that, by the way, but it has worked great for us.

I have to say though that lying to our DD never helped. She knew she wasn't learning anything and just got annoyed that we didn't believe her - when we were just trying to boost her spirits.

Ditto.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    I hear you both. This, however, was said to a 6-year-old who was working himself into an upset state that was about to manifest itself in him melting down and possibly refusing to board the school bus.

DS knows that we've needed to "keep learning" at home (afterschooling, anyone?), because he has felt that school is "sssoooooo easy." We are trying to foster his "growth mindset" at home. So his feelings are being acknowledged, but I am trying to avoid the outright refusal to go to school while I try to get the school to understand his needs (which I HAVE been trying to do, albeit unsuccessfully, so far).

Last edited by Loy58; 01/13/15 03:30 PM.
    M
    M
    I don't want to - somebody tell me I'm justified in not extending this upstart kid, oh and how do I blow off the parents with the least amount of confrontation

Last edited by Mahagogo5; 01/13/15 03:38 PM.
    P
    P
    Ds7 is OK with school because he likes sport.

Right now though he has a full leg cast and it will still be on when school start at the beginning of February. I am a little worried.

I have noticed though that the teachers don't really undwrstand that I don't want my kids at the top of the class at everything - I deliberately don't push them to do their spelling homework for instance.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM