Originally Posted by aeh
Actually, this may sound surprising, but, based on the linking studies, the predicted grade equivalent on the WIAT-III reading comprehension subtest for a seven-year-old with a PRI of 137 is exactly 5th grade (keeping all caveats about grade equivalents in mind). This is equivalent to a standard score in the High Average/Above Average range (117). Using the PRI as the cognitive measure would generally be done in situations like this, where the VCI is significantly lower.

I would still keep an eye on the development of verbal abilities, though, moving forward.

Thanks for that tidbit of info! That makes sense. I think his only possible verbal issue is shyness. I don't worry about it now because I think it's within normal, but I am aware of it.

While his reading comprehension is normal, he doesn't make connections to other things while reading a story. So for example, he is currently reading the Narnia series and can easily summarize what he has read verbally and in writing, but he can't answer more abstract questions appropriate for 5th/6th grade (Narnia is 5th grade + reading level). That is consistent with his working memory. So I think he is a normal 7 year old as far as comprehension goes.

And now that I think about it, he does better with learning new math without any verbal explanations. He does fine with word problems, but step by step how to's bother him. Often times he will tell me an answer before I've finished reading the problem, if we are working together, but gets fidgety if I ask him to explain how he got his answer on more than 1-2 problems. He thinks about it correctly and arrives at the correct answer, though.

I might test him again in a couple years, and maybe look into an achievement test.