Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Thomes Eliana, Larisa, ilnurbeggins, Cruzer84, CRPG
    11,511 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I
    I
    A petition is circulating, for interested parents and teachers to sign electronically. Evidently, if 100,000 signatures are collected on any petition by its closing date
    Originally Posted by petition
    White House staff will review it, ensure it’s sent to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response.

Z
    Z
    Anyone have links to any apolitical, non-conspiracy based rational arguments against common core? (and not accessible only through a cash payment)

I'm curious about actual critiques of the standards rather than whether there should be standards or critiques of specific implementations of it.

B
    B
    Diane Ravitch's site is probably the best clearing house site for anti-cc argument from a non conservative standpoint. So the objections are about the standards themselves rather than federalism.

http://dianeravitch.net/

P
    P
    Originally Posted by indigo
    A petition is circulating, for interested parents and teachers to sign electronically. Evidently, if 100,000 signatures are collected on any petition by its closing date
    Originally Posted by petition
    White House staff will review it, ensure it’s sent to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response.

Generate an appropriate response is usually code for getting your secretary to write a vague letter and binning it.

Last edited by puffin; 11/14/14 10:19 PM.
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Anyone have links to any apolitical, non-conspiracy based rational arguments against common core? (and not accessible only through a cash payment)

I'm curious about actual critiques of the standards rather than whether there should be standards or critiques of specific implementations of it.
    I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know whether these people have been mentioned, but FWIW, you might google the critiques of James Milgram (math) and Sandra Stotsky (language), two professors who were on the Validation Committee for the standards and who declined to approve. This page contains a download link for one paper authored by Stotsky and someone else that may provide a more detailed critique than you may have seen: http://pioneerinstitute.org/educati...ter-than-third-class-national-standards/

Here is a TV interview with Stotsky that I watched a long time ago, that don't recall as having a political angle: http://www.wccatv.com/video/activate-worcester/activateworcester39
    http://www.wccatv.com/video/activate-worcester/activateworcester40 (part 2)

Last edited by snowgirl; 11/15/14 06:47 PM.
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e Dyslexia/Dysgraphia schools
    by aeh - 09/27/24 03:29 PM
    College Admissions for 2E poor grades
    by aeh - 09/24/24 07:28 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by aeh - 09/24/24 02:25 PM
    Davidson e-newsletter subscription
    by indigo - 09/23/24 10:02 AM