Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Tomorrow we have our second SST meeting, only a few weeks late. I'm nervous about these things as usual and worrying that I'm prepared for the meeting. School was given the full workup we did this summer and his counselor told me this meeting will be to set up either a 504 or IEP.

Background for those who haven't been following. DS15 is a sophomore in H.S. and is a underperforming gifted student. We did a full private eval this summer and he has been diagnosed with LD with impairment in written expression, anxiety, depression, and has "traits" of ASD. He has "low-average" processing speed, average working memory that pulls down an otherwise high IQ. Last year he was in full honors classes, but his grades were low enough he was dropped from the honors classes although he is still accelerated in science & math. He tests well, is slow to do homework & doesn't always turn it in on time, but the most frustrating is he gets stuck "deciding what to write" and anything that involved writing suffers.

The "plan" is to try and get some accommodations in school but do remediation' privately one-on-one. He is seeing a psychologist who is an expert in gifted kids and I have found a writing tutor to help him with his writing "block". Any opinions what in school accommodations would best help? I'm going to start with those I think will be easy to get and work my way down.

1. Counselor hand selects his classes. She did it this year although not very successfully, Chemestry & English teacher are a bad fit.

2. Extra time if he wants it (50% more time) for tests & in class writing assignments. He doesn't need this for most math & multiple choice tests but I feels it's simpler for the long runs not to specify this.

3. Use of a keyboard for in class writing assignments. (Sometimes the class goes to the computer lab but not always.)

4. Requiring the teachers to weight his grades like they were the honors or a college class. I'm not sure how to explain this. I'm looking for a grading scheme where homework/seatwork is no more than "10%" of his grade like his math class. In contrast his Chemistry class the "homework" is 25% of the grade. Perhaps its better written that 90% of the grade should be based on tests, quizzes, essays, and labs depending on the type of class. His psychologist says that this has been a very helpful accommodation for other similar teenagers she has worked with even going so far as the grade is only based on "tests & assessments".

His report includes accommodations like a tape recorder to take notes but both my son & I feel this is unnecessary.

Basesd on the first SST and other things the counselor has said also on the table are a resource teacher to help him with his study skills, aka planning ahead of time so homework gets is done in time and turned in. And I know they want him to take their social skills class, I'm OK with this but DS isn't interested. I am considering asking if they can change his Chemestry &/or English teacher. Not sure if it's possible because of scheduling conflicts and it is already 5 weeks into the school year. I want to see how accommodating these teachers seems to be in the meeting tomorrow before I ask.

So far they have been more accommodating than I expected. The only thing I know I have NO wiggle room is they will NOT put him back in any of the honors classes.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks..

One of the main problems with writing is there usually isn't a first draft/second draft. Almost ALL of the essay writing is IN class.. here is a prompt write an essay in an hour and a half.

Oral reports are neither better nor worse for him. His problem is content creation. One of the suggestions the evaluator made was to do more oral reports rather than written ones and I found that confusing.

The reminder and/or extra day might be a good solution. His problem with classwork is MOSTLY a problem with Chemistry this yer. This has a lot to do with teacher style. Three of his classes have the homework online, or for math he has the entire quarters worth of homework already given to him. He doesn't have homework problems when the teacher is organized.

He doesn't need a teacher to give him notes. Usually he is good enough with tests that this is unnecessary. And at least this year non of his teachers considers note taking part of the homework grade.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    1. Items only sufficient to demonstrate mastery (especially for math, where advanced classes often have truly excessive problem sets). Or require only starred key items (another way to put it).
    2. Supplementary oral assessment. This goes beyond oral reports to having him clarify and expand his written responses on tests or assignments, instead of just marking him down because of insufficient detail. The teacher would pull him aside after skimming over the written test responses, but before final grading, and ask him to expand on any questionable responses, then add his oral response to his grade.
    3. Yes to notes provided. Usually, I suggest that the student take notes as usual (as there is some evidence that the process of handwriting notes has instructional value), but be provided with a copy of notes at the conclusion of each lecture. Alternatively, he could receive an outline, or partially-completed set of notes, including all key points, with space for him to add his own notes.
    4. "Prime the pump" for tasks involving written expression, using interactive discussion and modeling prior to initiating writing. Writing prompts including sentence stems. E.g., for an essay about learning a new task: "When I first started swimming lessons, I felt..."
    5. Make connections between instructional tasks and his personal interests, ambitions, experiences, and prior learning. He'll do better with initiating writing if he can find a way to connect topics to his own experience--if they're relevant.
    6. For math & science, no points off for failure to show work, or articulate process, if the end result is correct.
    7. Homework counts only positively toward course grades.
    8. Except when written expression is integral to the learning objectives, grade only on content. No point deductions for grammar (including incomplete sentences) or mechanics (spelling, capitalization, punctuation).

ETA:
    9. Scaffold lengthy or complex projects into smaller benchmarks, with well-defined criteria.

Last edited by aeh; 10/09/14 11:46 AM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Sounds great but a since a lot of the kids would like/benefit from that don't expect instant enthusiasm. He will have to learn to show his working though even if not graded on it now. Oddly when I was at university most of the stuff I was graded on was homework.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Very true. But these are actually all accommodations that have been offered to students in my workplaces.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Sounds great but a since a lot of the kids would like/benefit from that don't expect instant enthusiasm.

I've heard this before when advocating for my 2e ds, and fwiw, I think it's an important point to understand when advocating. When this is mentioned in a meeting, I think it's really important to steer the conversation back to the child that the meeting is being held for, and to remind everyone in attendance why the accommodation is necessary to allow this particular student to access his education (i.e., be able to fully comprehend instruction or be able to fully demonstrate his knowledge etc). Point out whatever data points you have - testing example or reports from OT/neuropsych etc - but be sure to immediately point out that "this isn't about gaining an advantage, it's about guaranteeing his right to access his education". BIG difference.

He will have to learn to show his working though even if not graded on it now. Oddly when I was at university most of the stuff I was graded on was homework.

Maybe, maybe not. A lot depends (in the US) on what you choose to study when you're in college. Another thing to remember with this type of accommodation - you are trying to let the teacher see what the true level of knowledge is, in a student who really *can't* communicate effectively through writing. Having a ds who struggles with this tremendously, I don't think that many people really understand expressive language challenges. Another thing that happens with students who have challenges with reading/writing/whatever is that they become overloaded with homework - not because they have difficulty understanding the concepts but because they have issues with putting their thoughts on paper or reading the material or trying to stay focused or eye strain or whatever - and that in turn sometimes prevents them from being successful in school because they are too inundated with work (much of which has nothing to do with what they are learning but has everything to do with their disability), and if they are able somehow to put all the required homework time in that often means no free time left over for *life*.

Sorry I think I'm about to climb on a soapbox so I'll step down smile

bluemagic, you've got a good set of accommodation suggestions above. I can't think of any others at the moment. Good luck with your meeting!

polarbear

P
    P
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Sounds great but a since a lot of the kids would like/benefit from that don't expect instant enthusiasm.

I've heard this before when advocating for my 2e ds, and fwiw, I think it's an important point to understand when advocating. When this is mentioned in a meeting, I think it's really important to steer the conversation back to the child that the meeting is being held for, and to remind everyone in attendance why the accommodation is necessary to allow this particular student to access his education (i.e., be able to fully comprehend instruction or be able to fully demonstrate his knowledge etc). Point out whatever data points you have - testing example or reports from OT/neuropsych etc - but be sure to immediately point out that "this isn't about gaining an advantage, it's about guaranteeing his right to access his education". BIG difference.

He will have to learn to show his working though even if not graded on it now. Oddly when I was at university most of the stuff I was graded on was homework.

Maybe, maybe not. A lot depends (in the US) on what you choose to study when you're in college. Another thing to remember with this type of accommodation - you are trying to let the teacher see what the true level of knowledge is, in a student who really *can't* communicate effectively through writing. Having a ds who struggles with this tremendously, I don't think that many people really understand expressive language challenges. Another thing that happens with students who have challenges with reading/writing/whatever is that they become overloaded with homework - not because they have difficulty understanding the concepts but because they have issues with putting their thoughts on paper or reading the material or trying to stay focused or eye strain or whatever - and that in turn sometimes prevents them from being successful in school because they are too inundated with work (much of which has nothing to do with what they are learning but has everything to do with their disability), and if they are able somehow to put all the required homework time in that often means no free time left over for *life*. Accommodations as suggested above can bring the overall homework time load back down to a manageable level.

Sorry I think I'm about to climb on a soapbox so I'll step down smile

bluemagic, you've got a good set of accommodation suggestions above. I can't think of any others at the moment. Good luck with your meeting!

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 10/09/14 02:01 PM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I just got back from hanging out with a RL friend. Talked with her about it it went well at first but by the end it disintegrated into her telling me she just thinks my kid is being lazy and doesn't really want it badly enough. Was very frustrating and why I often don't like to talk with her about the situation.

polarbear, I'm grateful to read your words. It's just so frustrating when he has nothing to say. And he then gets frustrated and then anxious and it bleeds into everything else he does.

aeh, Thanks for your list. Lots of good suggestions there.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by aeh
    ETA:
    9. Scaffold lengthy or complex projects into smaller benchmarks, with well-defined criteria.
    Oddly 4th-8th grade there were TONS of lengthy projects but in H.S. there are very few. Last year and this year I believe there will be only one long project, a second semester social studies/history project. Math is just homework/tests. History is reading the book, quizzes & tests, a few in class debates and the one required spring project. Chemistry will be mostly labs, tests, quizzes and problem sets. English is reading books, taking tests and then writing mostly in-class essays, and some grammar/vocab. Spanish is weekly vocab, homework, participation, speaking, tests. There is a lot of writing in both English & Social Studies but most of it is short answer, or quick 75 minute essays.

Seems odd that the younger grades spent so much time focusing on this. My kids were always doing long complex projects one after another. I noticed this with my daughter as well. This may be partly honors/AP vs. non-honors classes in the H.S. though. I believe many of the AP classes assign big projects after the AP test is taken since we usually have 5-6 more weeks of school.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Back from the meeting. I think it was mostly successful although I they didn't agree to all the accommodations I wanted they came up with others that were good. No problem is getting a 504, we decided that since I wasn't asking the school for remediation this was sufficient. I have signed the forms to start the process but the paperwork hasn't been completed so accommodations could still be negotiated.

No problem with extra time for in-class writing activities, they have a detailed plan where for in class English essays he will be expected to spend that "extra" time doing a prewriting activity, and then get the regular amount of time to do the actual writing. This seems a good plan because extra time can just mean he spins longer.

Main accommodation I didn't get was the grades are only based mostly assessments, vs. seatwork/homework. They didn't say it was out of the question, but that they wanted to try other strategies first. The class where this is most critical is Chemistry where he is currently failing. Assessments are at 85%, homework is a big fat 0 at this point. He will be required to do a homework contract with this teacher for the next 6 weeks. This is required because he is failing. Because this teacher is known to have problems with organization, this is as much for my benefit. I didn't know how critically bad it was until this week since the teacher hadn't updated anything.

No social skills class at this point, he is not interested. And the fact that he is in marching band and robotics club make both I & the psychologist comfortable that he is working these things through on his own. And he does see the outside psychologist.

They were happy to include the keyboarding for in-class essays but my son doesn't think it's necessary and is resisting that accommodation.

All in all.. I think I am overall lucky. I really like the current high school psychologist. (Hated the one who was there when my daughter was in H.S.) They are willing to put in a 504 for a kid who mostly isn't failing but underperforming. They were very happy with the outside report I provided them. They seem to "get" what the issues are better at this meeting. Most of his teachers seem to have taken the time to get to know him (despite 40+ kids in a class) and realize he is quite bright. This meeting hopefully now makes them all aware of his issues particularly the anxiety that sometimes cripples him. The Chemistry teacher whom I am the most frustrated with does seem to KNOW her material, my son likes her and the psychologist & counselor claim she is very compliant with other kids who have 504's.

Crossing my fingers this helps.. We still aren't where we need to be. And it takes his COMPLIANCE and the older his compliance is becoming more and more of an issue. Guess I'm hanging over his head that if he fails Chemistry he retakes it this summer instead of going to camp.

Last edited by bluemagic; 10/10/14 10:11 AM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM