Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    Yeah, like the long-term sub she had last year who claimed she tried graphic organizers (at my request) and they didn't help at all. I don't understand what interventions they think would even be helpful. She writes really slow and has no idea what to write if she has to write more than a couple sentences. And who would do these interventions if the teacher already thinks she is fine. DD says she doesn't do any writing in language arts (other than basic grammar stuff) so no wonder the teacher doesn't see a problem. Anyway, I told the school that they are free to try interventions but there has to be a specific plan and there need to be measureable progress and objectives, which are then communicated with us in some way. Otherwise I want to go straight to an eval.

It's really important to keep the interventions conversations focused… be sure that if they are stating they want to try an intervention, it's appropriate. You're the best judge on that at this point, you understand the diagnosis and you know your dd's history. If they were to suggest an intervention that's either already been tried or is inappropriate, stand firm, point out why it's not reasonable, and proceed with your request for an evaluation.

Have you turned in a written request for an eval? I think it's best at this point to be sure to summarize all conversations in writing (email is ok) and send back to the people involved to "clarify" (i.e., you know what they said, but what they said may not be legally correct, so if you write it down as a summary, send it back to them and politely ask - this is what I heard, is this correct? - then they will only answer in writing with what is legally ok to say/do. That's the easiest way I found to plow through this type of situation and move forward.

Best wishes,

polarbear

B
    OP Offline
    B
    One concern of mine is the competence of the school pscyh, who we have past (not so good) experience with and I know of other parents who have said the same. I hate it that parents have no choice. If you go to a private OT or psychologist and don't think they are competent, you can go somewhere else. Not so in a school system.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    If you go to a private OT or psychologist and don't think they are competent, you can go somewhere else. Not so in a school system.
    Actually, I have worked in systems where a request for a specific psych was honored. If you can identify a particular person you want, and why (preferably without blatantly insulting the existing one), you may be able to get someone else. But I think your chances are higher if you have a name.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    There's only one and I already told the principal (briefly) what our experiences have been in the past and that I'm going to have difficulty trusting her. Since she's new to the school, he probably doesn't have much experience with her. I don't think there's anything that can be done.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I actually meant someone else in the district. I was thinking you could say you wanted a fresh look, without carryover from the previous setting.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Hmmm, didn't know that was a possibility.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM