Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I would like DS11 to try to qualify for SET (Study of Exceptional Talent), which requires 700 or above by age 12. Because the College Board is changing the test in a year, I want to have DS take the SAT before then so we now have less time but still almost a year. DS tried College Board's 2014 practice test and it appears that he needs to raise his score by a hundred points. DS has never tried any SAT CR questions prior to this practice test and I am not opposed to a little prep. It appears that speed is an issue and there were some careless errors but DS still only got half of the incorrect/unanswered questions right when I gave it back to him so clearly there is room for growth.

What do you think is the likeliness of a hundred point increase in critical reading by next spring without prep and with some prep? Any suggestions or BTDT experience?

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Anecdotal: I seem to recall that I took it way back in the day (granted, pretty much a different test back then, in the days of the SAT-V, -M, and TSWE), in three consecutive years at about this age, and went up between 2-300 points over the span, with zero prep other than the little booklet that came with your registration packet in those days. That would be about 100 points in one year, mainly based on natural development and wide-ranging reading interests (and classroom instruction, for the math portion, as that was the period during which I had geometry and trig).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks - that's good to hear and sort of what I am hoping for DS. As it isn't exactly high stakes at this early stage in his schooling, it is harder to justify taking time away from other potentially more beneficial activities. Were it not for the anticipated changes in the SAT in 2015-16, I would most likely not consider prepping at all and simply just wait till Spring 2016, when his CR score should likely rise 100 points just from broad reading and natural gains in vocabulary. I think I'll wait a few months and perhaps give him another test before deciding if a little prep is in order.

K
    Ken Offline
    K
    Hi Quantum2003:

I used to write questions for the GRE and GMAT and my wife managed 2 Kaplan test prep centers, so I have some ideas about this.

ETS uses several standard question types. Being able to identify quickly which type of question you are being asked is very helpful for moving through the test efficiently. There are also good strategies for eliminating incorrect answers.

Depending on how DS learns, a couple of hours with a good tutor from Kaplan or some other service and a few practice tests might do the job. A full Kaplan course is probably not a good idea.

I hope this helps--good luck!
    Ken

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks, Ken. That's a possibility down the road - having DS sit down with someone knowledgeable to pinpoint strategy/approach.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent