Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    N
    N
    Many juniors highs in our area (and yours) don't have the option of even taking geometry until Freshman year at the earliest. Our niece was an example. She was shocked that her cousin was taking Geometry in 7th grade. It seems that Geometry is a Sophomore level class for most.

22B Offline
    There's plenty of mathematics out there to learn.
    http://hbpms.blogspot.com/2008/05/content-and-about.html
    If you run out of mathematics, then you can always make more.

Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Linear Algebra and Calculus are different, and each is as hard as the course designer chooses to make it!

AoPS is accredited now, by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, if that helps. Academically, the idea that one of its courses isn't as good as the corresponding course taken in a bricks and mortar school is laughable. I suppose it could be an issue that there's no invigilated final exam, but that seems to be common.

Point taken - The cohort/environment makes a huge difference. At my alma mater, Linear Algebra was treated more like an upper level course (less than two dozen Sophomores/Juniors majoring in Math/Applied Math) whereas Calculus was treated akin to a survey course because most of the Freshmen who did take it were repeating it.

I am not familiar with the Western Association of Schools but our district seems big on independently vetting everything. At one time, CTY was sometimes acceptable in certain limited circumstances as long as the student also jump through other independent hoops. For what it is worth, in addition to Alcumus, I really appreciate AOPS for providing curriculum such as Number Theroy, which are not routinely covered in schools. However, I do understand why our district would not accept online courses like AOPS by itself as a complete substitution. As a practical matter, the concept of an Honor System without oversight will never take root in our huge diverse system. There are also practical differences in curriculum and grading. In our district, writing/verbalizing math solutions is a huge component from 2nd grade onward and most of the grades come from unit tests and quarter exams which are always proctored.

I suppose this brings up the more general problem with many online courses where tests are not proctored and the teachers do not have regular spontaneous verbal interactions with students.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM