Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by 22B
    "mainstreamed"?

Reintegrated into the general education stream under a policy of "inclusion" of all special education students.

Oh, I see. You mean abolished.

Practically, yes. But in edu-speak this comes with differentiation. Lots of sweet, glorious differentiation.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by 22B
    "mainstreamed"?
    Reintegrated into the general education stream under a policy of "inclusion" of all special education students.
    Oh, I see. You mean abolished.
    Practically, yes. But in edu-speak this comes with differentiation. Lots of sweet, glorious differentiation.
    Ah, Splendiferous Splendifferentiation! Who could possibly ask for more?

R
    R
    WRT to the NYC exams... I am old enough to remember the SAT and CB folks claiming that their exams were ungamable... this would have been in the late 80's/ early 90's before the infamous renorming.

My view of all these standardised tests is colored by this. For me there are only two possibilities. Either your tests are unbiased and meaningful and any prep is worthless... or whatever you are testing is arbitrary and I would be naive not to prep. You can't have it both ways.

Test like Raven's and the paper folding etc subtests of SB-LM are ungamabele... but people seem to prefer more modern culturally biased tests... If you want gifted programs to use these weird hybrid iq/achievement tests like sages or cogat or even some modern verbally biased iq tests then you can't be outraged when people prep for them.

My experience, personally and as a parent is that gifted individuals will generally, absent 2e issues, still test in the top 2% even on these flawed instruments.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by raptor_dad
    ....but people seem to prefer more modern culturally biased tests... If you want gifted programs to use these weird hybrid iq/achievement tests like sages or cogat or even some modern verbally biased iq tests then you can't be outraged when people prep for them.

I don't think anyone here has been advocating for the use of these tests (though we've had threads that are very critical of them, and the people who publish the tests say that [i]don't[/i] measure IQ).

My experience, personally and as a parent is that gifted individuals will generally, absent 2e issues, still test in the top 2% even on these flawed instruments.

You may have missed a major point of this thread, which is that in a place like New York, where there are more students passing the tests than there are slots in gifted programs, being in the top 2% (or even 1%) is no guarantee of admission. They don't admit the highest scores first and work their way down. They have lotteries.

Yes, the schools need more slots, or a meaningful way to address the needs of all the students. But a failing of the schools doesn't justify a multimillion dollar kindergarten test prep industry that makes the problem worse.

Last edited by Val; 07/11/14 06:34 PM.
    I
    I
    Yes, the schools need more slots, or a meaningful way to address the needs of all the students.
    Agreed! A similar topic was discussed on a thread here.

B
    B
    Either your tests are unbiased and meaningful and any prep is worthless... or whatever you are testing is arbitrary and I would be naive not to prep. You can't have it both ways.
    I disagree. My eldest son at age 8 got a 700 on the math SAT in part because he was "prepped" -- he had worked through Singapore Math and EPGY through Beginning Algebra and taken the math section of two practice SATs. But for almost all 8yo's, including my younger two, SAT math "prep" would be an exercise in utter frustration. My current 8yo dabbles with algebra but keeps thinking that 5x^2 really means 25x^2 -- and that's OK.

In short, the ability to benefit from test prep is itself g-loaded.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    What some people call gaming the test, or test prep (for achievement-type tests like the SAT/ACT), others call learning the material. Other than the SAT writing, which really can be gamed by babbling, most of the others discriminate against poor test takers, but can't really generate significantly inflated scores unless you actually cheat.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Ben leis
    That all sounds a bit naive in the context of New York City. Good luck advocating for admission policy changes in a system this large that is highly politicized, racially split etc.

I believe you're confusing naïveté and morality. Unethical behaviour is unethical irrespective of whether it takes place in a small town or large city. And yes, I would consider anything beyond cursory test prep (e.g. buying a book to familiarize the child briefly with the general format of the test, maybe taking a practice test or two) to be gaming the system. People with the economic means and inclination are buying external, intensive resources to favour their children. Those hurt most by this type of behaviour are low income, high-ability students, and it artificially perpetuates their disadvantage in accessing training commensurate with their abilities.

Now, when the super-prep-doping-tests are introduced, then of course any and all prep will be justified, and everyone's child will get the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court discount at the movies.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Either your tests are unbiased and meaningful and any prep is worthless... or whatever you are testing is arbitrary and I would be naive not to prep. You can't have it both ways.
    I disagree. My eldest son at age 8 got a 700 on the math SAT in part because he was "prepped" -- he had worked through Singapore Math and EPGY through Beginning Algebra and taken the math section of two practice SATs. But for almost all 8yo's, including my younger two, SAT math "prep" would be an exercise in utter frustration. My current 8yo dabbles with algebra but keeps thinking that 5x^2 really means 25x^2 -- and that's OK.

In short, the ability to benefit from test prep is itself g-loaded.
    Agree. I think acceleration in of itself can be considered 'prep' for achievement tests like Explore, since ultimately accelerated kids are the ones likely to ace Explore at an age that matters. And yes the ability to benefit from such 'prep' is g-loaded.

Prepping for an IQ test though, I think, is really crazy since the results will be meaningless. I don't think Justin Chapman's mom had any good excuse for what she did which was simply cheating and teaching her child to cheat.

P
    P
    I hate lotteries. If there are limited places they should list the scores in order and draw a line under the number of places available.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM