Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    But-- and I say this having just seen how such speakers are "selected" now-- that's all that those choosing such speakers WANT from them now.

They don't want speakers who make the audience uncomfortable or surprised. But-- that is what makes for memorable speakers.

You and Zach, HK, you and Zach.

Okay, that actually made me giggle. I will have to share that with my daughter, who was APPALLED at the corporate toadying in her own commencement exercises on Saturday. She was also pretty over the student forelock-tugging, too. It's a good thing her eyes didn't get stuck in that position, or all she'd see is clouds and sky. wink

Yes, I believe that you could, Bostonian. And I say that knowing that your speech would probably enrage my daughter. But she'd remember it. wink

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 06/16/14 11:04 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    The quotes that I've pulled below are the reason I shared this article. I think some of you are getting sidetracked by the narcissism talk.

Originally Posted by quote 1
    Today’s graduates are also told to find their passion and then pursue their dreams. The implication is that they should find themselves first and then go off and live their quest. But, of course, very few people at age 22 or 24 can take an inward journey and come out having discovered a developed self.

In the first quote, I think the author speaks well to the challenges of being a polymath and lacking life experience. How can you possibly "discover" yourself in a meaningful way in several fields and build an appreciation for what a life in each of those areas looks like in your early 20s?

By that point I had finished grad school and had worked for a few years as a researcher alongside people in their 30s and 40s. I wasn't even that young when I started work full time--20--what about the people who finish grad school at 16?

I remember reading in Miraca Gross' book "Exceptionally Gifted Children" the story of the person under the pseudonym "Christopher Otway". Christopher was able, through radical acceleration and compacting, to take basically every high school course offered at his school and begin university at 16. I think there is tremendous value to be had from such an approach--perhaps combined with dual enrollment in the student's areas of strength, entrepreneurship, and practical internships (like HK's DD has done) because these experiences ground interests in reality and connect them tangibly to life after X degree.

Originally Posted by quote 2
    The graduates are also told to pursue happiness and joy. But, of course, when you read a biography of someone you admire, it’s rarely the things that made them happy that compel your admiration. It’s the things they did to court unhappiness — the things they did that were arduous and miserable, which sometimes cost them friends and aroused hatred. It’s excellence, not happiness, that we admire most.

This speaks to me. I strongly believe that meaning and happiness don't collapse into the same neat set. Personal difficulty has, ironically, been the best source of long-term happiness because it's forced me to look squarely at my weaknesses (and outside myself) and find causes that force me to grow to use my abilities fully. I think this is particularly important for gifted children, because they often don't even get to test their limits or experience real growth until adulthood, if ever.

I get that parents want happiness for their children, but more than anything, I want meaning and growth for my son, even if that means he spends some of his life impoverished or ostracized for his choices. I believe happiness isn't an end in and of itself, but a by-product of feeling that you have used your life well. I have to wonder if gifted families almost have to sidestep the happiness goal entirely and foster growth if they want their polymath children to have a reasonable chance at happiness.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM