Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Hello all,
    Im still new in the world of giftedness (formally speaking) and am also new in this country (we are in nyc) and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Im a mom of a little girl EG/PG who is extremely sensitive and has strong artistic-creative inclinations. She has suffered severe emotional traumas in the rigorous regular school system and her self esteem is very low right now. I am looking for an environment that can make her feel good about herself and motivated. I am also willing to homeschool her.
    The most important aspect for me right now is the emotional. I want a happy child who truly enjoys her learning, it does not need to be rigorous or extense, but something that makes her happy about herself. I wonder if:

1. Do you know of a school good for EG or PG kids in NY area?

2. I was told about the "Ethical Culture Fieldstone School" and "Brierly School" in NY as a "different" type of educational approach. I don't seem to find info from parents of EG/PG children on these schools, though. I wonder if anyone has experience or idea if these could be good options for an EG/ PG child?

3. If choosing between one of these non-traditional schools and homeschooling, -in your experience- what has worked for your EG child in terms of self esteem and motivation?

Thank you in advance for your kindness and support.

Last edited by springcreek; 05/23/14 11:56 AM.
    C
    C
    Have you looked at this list of schools?

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/browse_resources_157.aspx

My pg/2e is un/homeschooling, but we're in MA. Hoagies Gifted Page also lists private gifted schools - http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/schools.htm. My son's been to two of the MA schools.

We used to live in NYC and know the Fieldstone school. Not sure if it would work for a pg child. Perhaps temporarily.

I know another NYC mother with a pg/DYS child who temporarily went to Anderson, but they've since moved away. Another NYC mother's very happy with Parkside School, but that's very difficult to get slot for your child and she went through numerous hoops to get a slot.

Hunter is supposed to be good, but I've heard it's difficult to get a slot. Of course, that seems to be ditto for nearly every specialized school/program in NYC! So that's something to bear in mind.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM