Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Instoyque, Gourab, Jwack, journeyfarther, Clare
    11,505 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Z
    Z
    Actually it would be calc in ninth for the top cluster group and an exposure to pre-algebraic concepts for part of that group earlier than fourth in a reverse spiral because some kids drive better towards bigger concepts. If forced to cluster, I would design the top cluster such that my DS8 would have a place.

In a sane design for a gifted class you should be able to cut 30 days of beginning of the year review and 30 days of eog test prep. That alone would provide 50% more actual instruction in the school not accounting for other topical acceleration through reduced repetition.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    Wow, Pre-Algebra in 1st for advanced students and in 4th for regular? Your school is way ahead of ours. My kid took Pre-Algebra in 6th.

I was designing how I would do it, but my son's school uses individual differentiation.

Now I'm both confused and curious. What does your school do exactly? Does it do any grouping when differentiating and are the pathways through high school rational? And what kind of pre-algebra curriculum was being used in 1st grade?

Z
    Z
    My DS8 and the kids in his class work at their levels, which has most of the class about a grade level up. The teacher uses the detailed MAP results to identify areas of strength and weakness and gives additional materials and support as needed. DS is self-instructing with minor support as possible from the teacher in algebra and some geometry.

I don't know what the pathways question means.

The pre-algebra exposure in first was my speaking to the more hypothetical aspect of the op. But DS did hands on equations the summer after first. He also watches calculus videos and gets the basic concepts and looks forward to building towards using it, but knws there are amny skills between here and there. Which was the whole point of saying some kids can do with further out concepts, becuase their brains work towards them.

N
    N
    Most of the 6th grade at the Magnet program do have accelerated algebra. I think they cover the entire book unlike the Algebra class. All students get tested for placement for junior high math classes. at that time you may have a non magnet placed in Accelerated Geometry based on their scores.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Weird results for 2nd Grade Gifted Test
    by aeh - 09/16/24 02:00 PM
    Please help me understand child results
    by aeh - 09/15/24 07:28 PM
    How critical is school selection?
    by aeh - 09/15/24 06:50 PM
    A Progressive Assault on Selective High Schools
    by Dakota Pilcher - 09/10/24 01:08 AM