Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Oh, and I think I've mentioned elsewhere that our #2 was homeschooled for K year (we counted it as 1st), then partially homeschooled for the next two years, attending a small private school 1-3 days, mainly for specials and science lab day. It worked well for us.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    if the intellectual/emotional/social fit for your child with the other kids will not work, the entire point of K being a social year is an invalid point.

If he cannot play the games the way all the others want to
    If he cannot understand why they all learn so slowly (to him) and take so long to get something done
    If they don't understand perfectionism (if he has this)
    If they look at him strangely because he can read/write/do maths...

He will then either a) withdraw or b) act out or c) try squash himself to fit in with their perception of normal. Neither is cool for him, the teacher, the other kids or for you.

I hope you find something that works well - I quite like the idea of learning stuff at home and then school only for socials - ie, where learning cannot get in the way (largely) of having fun with other K kids.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    G
    GHS Offline
    G
    So another option could possibly be a montessori school (not sure if this is financially or geographically an option for you).

Kids have mixed results in Montessori and we have had both experiences (two different schools). First school I thought was amazing but it just didn't offer enough to her for her to be happy & she cried about going. We moved 1/2 way through the year and put her in a Montessori in our new state. This one has been running for over 50 years and goes through 8th. She is definitely being challenged in her own way and they are putting her a year ahead next year (still mixed age class but they have different base expectations for each year). She is SO eager to go to school every day & loves it. She has social interaction with kids 2 years older every day.

Just wanted to throw this out there incase this may be an option for you!

T
    TNC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by GHS
    Kids have mixed results in Montessori and we have had both experiences (two different schools).

DD's first school was a Montessori and we had mixed results. However, we have moved and, given all Montessori's are different, I did think about Montessori for next year. I love the idea of the Montessori method and I love the idea of educating the whole child. However, what we experienced was educating the child based on the Montessori method of a sequential learning path and DD is not completely sequential - in some areas she goes from A to C to F if YKWIM.

The bigger issue for us is the contract. We opted to pull DD from school based on her anxiety behaviors and the school opted to hold us to our contract. They believed the anxiety didn't have anything to do with lack of challenge at school and they could educate DD at her level easily based on her previous compliance to re-learn material she already knew. Thankfully we found out we were moving the next week and the school reluctantly released us from our financial obligation. This experience made me a bit trigger shy with private schools. I don't think I am willing to take the risk of say having a great initial fit for DD and then having the experience go south and then having to fight for the monies I am then obligated to pay to the school - and this could be A LOT for us. I so wish I could find an excellent Montessori which understood the needs of the PG community that could understand if the fit wasn't right and just release me from my financial obligation. Montessori's have a business to run, so I understand why my wish is not truly feasible smile

G
    GHS Offline
    G
    Could you tour the school? Our first montessori was painfully linear and this one is so willing to not be. Last one literally they MADE her do phonics and every letter even though she had known phonics for years & years. New school they skipped that whole chunk and let her go on to the leveled books. That was what we found was the most refreshing. As they realize she grasps a concept they give her new more challenging work. It may at least be worth a tour. Also, we signed up for the tuition insurance. Not sure if your school offers this?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    One of our previous schools had a six-week trial period, during which either party (school or family) could pull out of the contract without being on the hook for more than the registration fee, prorated tuition, and curriculum fee (since, of course, they wouldn't really be able to use partially-written-in consumables for any other student).

Even if the schools you are thinking of don't have such a policy, you might be able to persuade them to write one into your contract.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM