Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by ljoy
    I remember my own frustration with elementary school math, echoed in the standards I read for DD a few years ago. They spent a full month every year on place value - increasing it one place per year: ones and tens in K, to 100 in 1st, hundreds in 2nd, thousands in 3rd... At a school math night I tried to express to a teacher that this was the SAME PROBLEM. It is not harder to add 10,000 + 30,000 than to add 1 + 3, once you understand place value; and if you don't get place value, then 100 + 300 is already too hard. The math teacher looked entirely baffled. I take from this that for many kids, I'm wrong and they actually do need to spend time learning that each new place also works on a tens system.
    yes yes yes! This sounds so bizarre to me that I can't even take it on faith, but the curriculum does say they add one extra place per year for several years. IIRC it went to fourth or fifth grade or something insane like that ( I think the highest mentioned was 10,000, which would be fifth grade, but maybe they got ambitious and made them learn two spots in one year). A couple of teachers have claimed this, too.

But, I just don't believe it. Once you understand the differences between 1,10, 100, then if you can't extrapolate to 1000 and into infinity then you don't really understand the difference between 10 and 100. They must not be teaching it well enough.

ETA: I checked up, and second grade goes to hundreds, third grade go all the way to 10,000, fourth to a million. BUT, the second grade standard says they need to be able to do ordinals up to 20, which clearly isn't some watershed the way adding single vs double digits is, so these standards are obviously formulated as the floor for kids who do not understand at all and need to rote memorise it all. And they could just not have the space to add in memorising that fifty-second equals number 52 in line instead of understanding the pattern.

Last edited by Tallulah; 05/12/14 06:35 AM.
    U
    U
    Second grade math includes solid understanding of place values, addition and subtraction with regrouping, basic multiplication and division such as 7 times 3 or 36 divided by 12 ( using addition and subtraction as basis, not memorized timetables), knows how to read time and count money, has a good concept of various types of measurements (distance, weight, area, etc), good understanding of fractions, can read and create basic bar graphs, and can solve real life problems using all the stuff learned.

This is accurate in my experience, although DD also began to accelerate in 2nd grade math, so we added in some other stuff. Definitely time, money, and regrouping with two-digit numbers in addition and subtraction. DD also did a lot of fact memorization in second. I actually thought 2nd was an important year, after a wasted year in 1st, but we also switched schools and curricula that year.

U
    U
    We didn't experience this thing with adding a place value every year. DD did place value up to the millions in second.

MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by cammom
    I get your point- I think at least a few first graders are ready to go straight into multiplication, and wonder if much of the year is waiting for most/all the rest to catch up.
    What also makes me think this is how much of the curriculum is measurement stuff -- time, money, temperature, weight, etc. Sure, this is important stuff to know in life, but it is in no way a building block of further math progress. They could just as easily pull it out as a separate subject, and let math go on its merry way. So stuffing all this into 2nd grade really does seem like a way to keep the math curriculum in a holding pattern until kids have matured a little.

MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    Once you understand the differences between 1,10, 100, then if you can't extrapolate to 1000 and into infinity then you don't really understand the difference between 10 and 100. They must not be teaching it well enough.

What I remember from my own childhood is that they made it "harder" by giving bigger and bigger problems with endlessly dull computation, like "259,384 + 513,628." This is not conceptually any more difficult than simpler place-value and carrying problems, but it requires a heck of a lot more patience and attention and executive control. Hence, older kids are ready for it, younger kids aren't. QED.

D
    D
    I think the current pedagogical philosophy is that all that measuring makes math more concrete for everyone-- that it's developmentally important.

Some kids are ready for more abstract algorithms much earlier than others, of course.

MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I agree with using measurement problems as a tool for teaching arithmetic. I'm all in favor of making things concrete. That's different from taking time out of the curriculum to memorize combinations of coins, or the crazy imperial measurement system used in the U.S.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    Originally Posted by cammom
    I get your point- I think at least a few first graders are ready to go straight into multiplication, and wonder if much of the year is waiting for most/all the rest to catch up.
    What also makes me think this is how much of the curriculum is measurement stuff -- time, money, temperature, weight, etc. Sure, this is important stuff to know in life, but it is in no way a building block of further math progress. They could just as easily pull it out as a separate subject, and let math go on its merry way. So stuffing all this into 2nd grade really does seem like a way to keep the math curriculum in a holding pattern until kids have matured a little.
    The measurement, and money is another way to make them practice addition and subtraction, make "math" relevant. It also makes math visual for those kids who don't really get the concepts easily. I see why it's part of the curriculum, and for the some kids pace this is useful. It's just really frustrating for the kids who just "get" it, who don't need this level of repetition. What drove me nuts was how much time was spend on "patterns" in K and 1st grade.

It's frustrating but many elementary teachers aren't very comfortable with math and just teach to the book not really understanding the concepts themselves. If their degree is in elementary education they might not have ever taken math higher than Algebra II.

22B Offline
    But does she really need to practice calculating how many ounces in a hectare or whatever?
    What do you mean?

MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    But does she really need to practice calculating how many ounces in a hectare or whatever?
    What do you mean?

Joke.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM