Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this site. This is a great place! I should have came here years earlier!

My DS6 is in kindergarten. He has just been tested at his public school. His WISC-IV score is above DYS requirement. But the school seems only tested him on "selected subtests" on WJ-III: Passage Comprehension, Applied Problems and Writing Samples (Just these 3 subtests). According to the "Qualification Criteria" listed on DYS website: score from at least one "section" is needed. As I read from my web search: each "section" of WJ-III contains tons of subtests! Now I am not sure if "one subtest score" will be sufficient to apply DYS? His "Applied Problems (in Math section)" is 163 ("high school level Math", according to the tester). Will that be enough to show his Math is at least 2 to 3 grade level higher than his peers?

My DD12 had WISC-IV test done years ago. Her score from that time is also above DYS requirement. I understand that she will need to have new achievement test score. But, does she have to take another IQ test?

Thank you all in advance!

C
    C
    I'm not familiar with WJ-III because we used WIAT-III. Hopefully someone else in the forum can help you. In our case, we had all subtests administered, since the DYS requires a "Total Reading" or "Total Math" score that meets or exceeds the requirement. I'm guessing that you might need to have a complete battery of WJ test administered.

In regards to your daughter, the DYS website says that at least one of the two tests must have been administered within 2 years prior to application date. Has she taken achievement test recently, in the last 2 years? If not, she would need to take either IQ test or achievement test.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi Cocopandan, thank you for your quick response. I might need to communicate with DS' school about further "complete WJ-III testing". But I doubt the public school would do "extra" at this point. I might need to prepare a portfolio for DS...

As for my DD: her school (a small private) gives annual Terra Nova, which is not on the accepted achievement test list. She might need to take SAT in the near future.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent