Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    N.. #189377 04/25/14 07:06 AM
    N
    N.. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    polarbear...

You asked about his PRI subtests.

Block Design 16 (he actually completed everyone one accurately and she went beyond and he was well in extended norms but due to timing rule his score does not reflect that. She believes this is a result of his relative weakness in processes.

Picture Concepts 16 (he hit the ceiling on similariaties in VCI plus ran out of questions in the extended norms. Thus this shows a strong verbal over nonverbal preference in her estimation.)

Matix Reasoning 22 (this is his extended norm score. I assume 19 without)

Picture Completion 15 (she did all subtests even though only core used in calcualtion. she did all subtests in order to gleam all useful information

READING EVALS
    Tutor used CTOPP for phonics and something she said was part of the OG assessment tools. Here is text copied from her report:

His original O & G phonics assessment, which was completed on 9/4/13, was 76% on the core 153 sounds. His assessment completed on 2/11/14 showed 90% for an improvement of +14%.

For reading she lists "Qualitative Reading Assessment" and the book titles. I am not sure if this is the official name of what she used. His scores were very high...commentary notes he was skipping lines a few times but due to fluency will not track. She has tried to have him track with a ruler. He is doing better now that we mostly read on a kindle app with larger font.

She wrote this at the end of her summary
    Although, X appears to function at a higher-grade level in his reading abilities, at some point his memory will break down this process. X’s parents have sought private reading tutoring to intervene and prevent this from happening. The goal of tutoring is to build X’s ability to decode and comprehend at a level commensurate with his ability level, not his grade level.

X has areas of relative weakness. First, he needs to work on his retelling and sequencing skills. Additionally, his ability to visualize text and the details within it are weak. While he can remember explicit text, he struggles with a coherent explanation for implicit information. He has a particularly difficult time transferring text from the board to his paper. We are working on transferring in chunks of 3-4 symbols at a time. For example, the word different would be copied dif-fer-ent by using the rhythm of the word. He needs to work on written expression so that he can retell not only orally, but on written paper.

)

N.. #189384 04/25/14 07:50 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by N..
    For reading she lists "Qualitative Reading Assessment" and the book titles. I am not sure if this is the official name of what she used.

This may be actual test called Qualitative Reading Inventory. it was given to my son, too. It's pretty in-depth measuring sight words, fluency, comprehension, etc... I think you can see what it looks like on online if you google it.

N.. #189385 04/25/14 07:52 AM
    I
    I
    Oh and my son's reading improved so much with vision therapy (jumped several grade levels) ... he also stopped hating reading and stop fatiguing so easily. he had terrible tracking prior to VT - now he tracks great and stops losing his place. We are big fans of VT here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM