Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 173 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    N.. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Thank you for advice. Edited for privacy.

Last edited by N..; 04/28/14 04:51 AM.
    C
    cee Offline
    C
    I cannot answer your specific questions, but I have had 2 recent meetings about my 10-year old son. He skipped 2nd grade, and now in 6th. He definitely needs even more acceleration in Math. The principal acknowledged to me that this would be the first time his school has done something like this, but he is open to it adjusting the math class he is placed in next year.

He did, however, express a reluctant stance to make any changes now, with a few weeks remaining in the current school year. My question to him was, can he remain in the 6th grade math, but instead of being given more worksheets reviewing the same material, can he be given 7th grade worksheets or a workbook that shows examples and then the problems. The principal didn't think it was a good idea to give a child math problems to do on his own, without any instruction.

I don't know if he doesn't think it's fair to the child, or that he simply doesn't think the child can possibly learn this way.

The district has very little experience with gifted students, but at least the principal is open to conversations and most possibilities.

My personal opinion is, not to let too much time go by while they research what was done in the past. It should not dictate what they do for your child today. Each gifted child has different needs and cannot follow a set "gifted" curriculum. Needs to be a more custom approach to challenge the child and keep him learning.

H
    H
    1) Once they present their policy, ask for a copy of the written policy. If it is not a written, formal policy, it might not be a real policy at all. (You may not want to press this point at this time, but finding out might be helpful in the future).

2) History is good to know, but as cee says, each child is an individual and may need different things.

My suggestion is to read everything on Davidson's and Hoagie's sites regarding acceleration and provide the school with positive information about it. Suggest reasons why it should be explored, in particular for your child.

Good luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM