Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    B
    To be honest I am a bit confused/worried about the AB/BC Calc questions myself. A friend has me concerned that if my son doesn't do honors pre-calc next year... he might be required to take AB Calc junior year, only allowing him to take BC Calc as a senior. I'll admit I am a bit confused by this and I'm not sure this is correct. Claiming there are some changes in my district in the next year or two.

Just tried looking at the college board document and I find it confusing. The way this is written it seems a school can implement it either as AB being a pre-req for BC, or as two different levels of the same class.

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/ap-calculus-course-description.pdf

But AP Calculus is not necessary the benchmark. Keep in mind that if you are studying science or engineering at a top research university, even a 5 on BC Calculus doesn't cover all topics of a year of university calculus probably only the first semester. The topics that top universities cover is NOT the same as the AP courses. And what they expect as prerequisites may not be the same.

K
    K
    My understanding (from way back when) was that they planned to eventually get rid of the original/traditional track. But maybe that was just a rumor, who knows.

We did lots of proofs, our textbooks were ancient (probably from the 60s or early 70s), and the teacher knew her stuff. YMMV. smirk

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    That's too bad. I just don't see how you can really learn it well without deriving the proofs.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I can't shed any light on your confusion as in our district, the regular (non-accelerated) GT students would take Pre-calc as sophomores, Calc AB as juniors and Calc BC as Seniors.

You're right. Many of my college classmates who got 4's and 5's on the AP Calculus BC exam chose to take 2nd semester calculus in college. Sometimes it was so there would be one easy class.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Well, in the dark ages when I was in high school, deriving geometry proofs was the norm. However, there has been some discussion that many schools no longer emphasize that. In our district, the regular geometry course has some regular proofs as well as some watered down proofs where you only fill in every other line or so.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I am not familiar with that Geometry book but at least some of MacDougal Littel's math textbooks are geared toward gifted students.

I don't know that it is so much a question of getting rid of Differential Equations and Linear Algebra as downplaying/not advertising it. For example, the Pre-Algebra program that DS was in last year was not advertised at all and the Algebra that he is taking this year is not even a program as there are only two students (counting DS) in the district of over 100,000.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM