Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 170 guests, and 44 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    There is a popular program that uses mnemonics for times tables and I have it and have used it. My DS likes it because it is a fun way to remember times tables.
    It is called Times Tales and I was recommended that program on another forum. Link to it: http://www.amazon.com/Times-Tales-Tables-Made-Easy/dp/0976202441
    Hope this helps!

Last edited by ashley; 02/25/14 12:18 PM.
    P
    P
    I'm immediately skeptical of the advertising claims but that's just me. I'd be more interested in looking into it if someone I'd known in real life had actually used the program and felt it was beneficial.

Originally Posted by Madoosa
    The cost is totally inexpensive in my mind for the times tables thing and that is something that both my mathy kids need right now - they are floating along learning them slowly but it's causing frustration for Aiden (7) in his Soroban abacus program currently as well as for his other stuff he keeps wanting to do.

How is Aiden's math facts knowledge frustrating him? Is it holding him back from doing work he wants to in his abacus program, or does he feel the work he's doing is slowed down by not knowing math facts? From everything I've been told (and experienced with my own kids), learning math facts has a huge "developmentally ready" component to it, same as reading does to a certain extent, maybe more so. Most children at 7 (even in some cases PG kiddos) aren't necessarily ready yet to be able to memorize and regurgitate math facts quickly. I would be concerned about investing $ in a program specifically for math fact mastery that might work *for now* and then find out that after a few months away from the program "poof" all math facts have been forgotten. I've seen that happen with my now-9 year old in school - she went to a traditional school in 2nd grade (at 7) that really pushed the math facts, and she was quite good at them - top of the class, a real speed demon, had all of her multiplication facts down cold at the end of the school year. Then summer happened, and at the start of third grade she'd forgotten every single danged fact. And oddly enough, drill-and-kill facts was once again a big piece of her 3rd grade math curriculum.. indicating to me that perhaps my dd wasn' the *only* child who'd forgotten those danged facts over the summer. So she learned them all again and... you guessed it... lost a ton of them over the summer before 4th grade smile She's most of the way through 4th grade now, it's taken less practice to relearn them and I suspect they'll stick much better this time around... but that's just my take on it - if she'd never seen a math fact until 4th grade, and just focused on math concepts before 4th, I think she would have been at the same place she is now anyway. Same would have happened with my other kids - which is why I wouldn't invest in a program purely for learning math facts if my kids were in early elementary school.

polarbear

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...