Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    W
    W
    Please check the Mensa for Kids website. I remember comparing it to the average Reading Olympics reading list that you might find in the library and the Mensa list did seem better geared to the advanced reader.

Also, find a librarian that you love in or around your area and pick their brain. They know all of the books hopefully old and new or the person in charge at your favorite book store.

There are big time readers out there you just have to hunt them down. Happy Reading! (My little one was a science buff at that age so we were not on top of the mystery genre.)

N
    N
    A bit past the Mr. Putney thing, but you might keep Encyclopedia Brown in mind. An eye for detail is precisely what is needed, there. smile

A
    A
    Our kids were also Nate the Great fans. Cam Jansen was another popular series of chapter books in our house. There are tons of them, each a self contained mystery.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    A bit past the Mr. Putney thing, but you might keep Encyclopedia Brown in mind. An eye for detail is precisely what is needed, there. smile

Super, thanks so much Nautigal! It's always good to have an ace up my sleeve for when I need it.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by amylou
    Our kids were also Nate the Great fans. Cam Jansen was another popular series of chapter books in our house. There are tons of them, each a self contained mystery.

Much appreciated, amylou! It's going on the list! smile I love having a favourite go-to series that I can rely on for a hit with DS.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Expat Mama
    I wonder if he would enjoy those 'choose your own adventure' books to read with you and discuss how the final outcomes change based on different choices he makes.

Great idea! I bet he'd love them! Thanks Expat Mama-- good suggestion.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by intparent
    We have a picture book called "Bub or The Very Best Thing" by Natalie Babbitt that is really charming. It is about a very small prince and his parents searching for what is best for him.

I will definitely check this one out; it sounds charming! Thanks for the idea, intparent!

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Mana
    I hope your DS wouldn't mind Jon Agee's rather peculiarly odd tone. I remember not being able to correctly guess a single name but I won't be surprised if your DS could. smile

Mind? He lives with his mother, I'm about as odd as it gets! wink

B
    B
    I was looking at pictures of my son as a preschooler today and remembered how much my son LOVED BLues Clues, the Nick kids TV Show, when he was 2. I know it's not a book, but one of the things I loved about the series was that it had this "mystery" theme, ever episode was trying to figure something out using a set of "clues". At the time my son was this age (12 years ago) one could get books and workbooks. At about the time my son was growing out of it Nick dumbed down the show, so what I remembering being impressed by was the original show with Steve. I have no idea if it's even still on TV, but I'm sure one can still buy the DVD's.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    That's a good idea bluemagic! I'll look around and see if I can find the early seasons. So grateful you shared your idea- thanks!

How did it feel to be able to reminisce about your son from 10 years ago? I imagine it feels surreal that he isn't still 2.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM